Saturday, March 12, 2011

Book Review: Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow

This book was definitely the best book I've read every that I can remember.

It's about a girl with no name. Her mother hadn't wanted another daughter, so she had refused to name her. She lives in a land that had been cursed with bad snow storms for as long as anyone can remember.
One day she is lucky enough to meet a magic reindeer who's legends say that anyone who is able to catch it can make a wish for anything in the world. She wishes for a name, which isn't revealed until the very end. When she's 16 (if I remember correctly) she is taken away by a great isbjorn (polar bear) to a palace made of ice where she must live for a year and a day. As she lives there, she learns more about the mystery of the palace and the isbjorn, but sadly her curiosity is costing her loving servants their lives.

If I say much more, I'll give away the whole book, which would spoil the ending, making this stunning story less stunning. It has a great, romantic, creative, beautiful happy ending, but not in a stupid way.

This book is based on the fairy tale "East of the Sun, West of the Moon", which, if you read it will spoil the whole entire story.


2 comments:

  1. Ha! I just left this book as a recommendation on another post! :P I completely agree that it is stunning, and one of the best books ever! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fairy tale "East of the Sun, West of the Moon," (yes, I got the name wrong before) and I love that it shares specific elements with "Beauty and the Beast," yet is still it's own distinct tale. I remember reading Edith Pattou's "East" years ago, and this sounds like another great retelling! I'll definitely keep this in mind.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...