Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Book Review: A Curse Dark as Gold

I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!!
IT WAS CAPTIVATING THE WHOLE WAY THROUGH! FROM THE MOMENT I OPENED THE BOOK, I COULD TELL IT WAS MAGIC! IT WAS STUNNING! EVERYONE IN THE WORLD NEEDS TO READ THIS TREASURE!
Charlotte Miller's father has just died and she doesn't know what to do about the mill. It has been in her family for many generations, though it hasn't been passed down father-to-son as it normally would've, but it has been cousin to uncle to nephew to brother. The village claims there has been a curse placed upon Stirwaters and it owners. They are a very unlucky family.
Charlotte discovers that her father had left a large debt to be paid off. In frantic worry, a man claiming to be called Jack Spinner shows up saying he can spin straw into gold. To Charlotte's disbelief he does, in exchange for her ring. This saves the family for now. Many strange things continue happening to the mill, which causes lots of sorrow. During all these events, Charlotte continues to unravel the mystery of the curse and Mr. Spinner.

I really liked all the characters in their own way. I think I could relate in different ways with each of them. And the magic was very interesting.

I like Rumpelstiltskin enough. I've been dying to read "The Rumpelstiltskin Problem" but my library doesn't seem to have it.
I think he's an alright guy. He has his reasons for being the way he is. In this book he seems like he would be a nice person if it weren't for his grudge against Stirwaters.
In movies I don't think he is portrayed well. My examples are animated:
I haven't watched Happily N'ever After in a while, but as far as I remember he's doesn't have the ability to turn good, and he's goofy and stupid. He's also green. I find it disrespectful to portray one of my favorite fairy tale characters in such a way because he's the smartest character in the fairy tale!
 In Shrek Forever After, he seems to "fit the bill", but he still irritates me. A LOT. I don't have much to say about him other than HE IRRITATES ME!

Anyway... everyone should read A Curse Dark as Gold. The beginning seems a bit slow, but it's still exciting. I wasn't planning on  finishing it until Friday, but it was so captivating that I stayed up until way too late reading, and then woke up way too early to finish it. I am so glad I did. 






3 comments:

  1. I liked this book a lot. I thought it was a brilliant retelling.

    Given that you are such a fan of Rumpelstiltskin, I highly, highly recommend Straw into Gold by Gary D. Schmidt. It answers some questions about why he would have wanted a baby, but it's also the story of what would have happened if the Miller's Daughter DID'NT guess his name in time... It's a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought this book last year, but it's been sitting in my to-read pile. Your review is going to make me push it up towards the top! :)

    Lauren @ Hughes Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, how can I not read it now after that review? Gosh it sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...