Saturday, April 23, 2011

Book Review: Fairest

I've heard one too many times "it's no Ella". I believe everyone who said that is right. This is better than Ella. 
This is Aza. Aza was abandoned in an inn when she was a baby. Ever since she was born she has had the most beautiful voice -- and ugliest face -- in Ayortha. Many have commented that she looks like a troll, ogre, or gnome. She is ashamed of her face, and most often tries to hide it. 
One day while cleaning, Aza discovers a new trick to use while singing. Illusing. It is her ability to throw her voice across the room without moving her lips. 
Aza later becomes acquainted with the Duchess who invites her to the royal wedding of the beloved king and a mysterious Kyrrian commoner. The next thing she knows, she's queen Ivi's lady-in-waiting. The job comes with lots of perks, but requires her to deceive the whole kingdom. She has been blackmailed into illusing for Queen Ivi, who is jealous of Aza's stunning voice. 
While on this adventure, Aza is on her own personal quest to make herself beautiful. 
This book has many of the same elements of the original Snow White (Magic Mirror, Poison Apple, Jealous Queen, even Gnomes (who are somewhat similar to dwarfs)), but they've been placed in a fresh, new story.
I have loved this book for a long time. Re-reading it was very nice. With most books I'll forget the story after a while. Reading it brought back some good memories. This is #2 on my list of favorite GCL books. The Two Princesses of Bamarre will always be #1. 







1 comment:

  1. I loved this book so much! I can't wait to read and review GCL's new book, A Tale of Two Castles later this week for FTF! I hope I love it as much as I did my other favorites by GCL, including Fairest. I was so happy to see this review!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...