Friday, May 6, 2011

Book Review: Princess of the Midnight Ball

Galen is a soldier-turned-gardener who works in the queen’s gardens. Rose is the eldest of the 12 princesses who are curse to dance from midnight til dawn in the King Under Stone’s palace. You would never suspect that these 2 would become friends, or even cross paths.
After Galen accidentally scared Rose into falling into a fountain, they continue to accidentally meet. Galen becomes intrigued by the mystery as to what happens each night when the princesses wear out their dance slippers. He commits to finding out, even if it may risk his life.
Using and invisibility cloak given to him by an ancient magician, and the advice of an old gardener, he is able to sneak after the princesses into the Kingdom Under Stone to witness what has happened to them. They have been cursed to dance every night with these half mortal monstrous beings.
As he continues to unravel why this is happening, and how to stop it, he never stops his knitting.
This was a stunning novel that I couldn’t put down. I am a rather slow reader, so I was surprised that I finished it in less than a day. The language was lyrical and pleasant to read. The characters were wonderfully developed. Everything about it is amazing.  






5 comments:

  1. Glad you liked this one! I <3 JDG so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with Bonnie! JDG is amazing! If you haven't already read it, you MUST read Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow! Not only is it my favorite JDG, it is one of my favorite retellings of all time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Twelve Dancing Princesses was one of my favorite fairy tales as a kid even if it was an obscure one. I was so excited to find this book! It was so good! And I thought she did a good job of making the underground place magical but CREEPY.
    Lauren @ Hughes Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ever since I read Entwined, I fell in love with this old story. I would love to read this one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have yet to read a retelling of 12 Dancing Princesses. It looks like you have read quite a few. I have had my eye on this one for quite some time, but have yet to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...