Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Book Review: Number the Stars


Annemarie was living a relatively normal life despite the war. Then the Nazi’s start their search for Jews. Annemarie’s best friend, Ellen, is a Jew, and so to keep her safe, Annemarie’s family takes her in and pretend she’s Annemarie’s sister.
As fun as that is, they know Ellen is still in danger, so the go to Uncle Henrik who may be able to help Ellen and her family get to safety.
Along the way to getting Ellen to safety, Annemarie learns that it’s easier to be brave when you don’t know the whole truth.

I thought this book was really interesting. The story reminded me of Anne Frank (who I’m currently reading), but I thought it was unique to have the story told, not by the Jewish girl, but by her friend.
I received this book as a gift a long(ish) time ago, and I don’t know why I didn’t read it! I love reading Middle Grade fiction because a child’s perspective is so different from anyone elses.
I felt the characters were well developed, which added to the complexity of this simple story. 
Reading more award winning books that weren’t really up my alley has made me appreciate why this literature is so great.

This book was read as part of the Award Winning Reads Challenge

button1





1 comment:

  1. You're right! Having the main character not be Jewish and having the story told during the Holocust was good to read about!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...