Sunday, July 31, 2011

Book Review: The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook

This I received for Christmas, along with a chocolate frog mold. I wasn't nearly as excited as my mom thought I'd be. I'm obsessed with Harry Potter and cooking! Why wouldn't I want a Harry Potter Cookbook? Because I already knew tons of recipes, and I don't particularly like British food (which is why I spent my time visiting London eating at McDonald's)
This cookbook is really just traditional British food that's mentioned in the books. Things like a "Gammon of Bacon" and "Buttered Peas". Seriously! Do you think normal people don't know how to fry bacon or butter peas? I couldn't find one recipe I'd use.
One thing I did find impressive was each recipe had a reference to where in which book it's mentioned, as well as a brief history on that food!
 It didn't have recipes for some classic wizarding fare that is repeatedly mentioned in the books! (Something else that gets me mad is that it says cauldron cakes are really just big pancakes!)

This book got me thinking that I should make my own cookbook of recipes, since I have a somewhat large collection of Harry Potter recipes.
 
Here are some of my recipes (which are so much better, though less British)!

ROCK CAKES


1 stick butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup Cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup mini marshmallows
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

Heat oven to 375°F. Beat butter, 
granulated sugar, brown sugar, 
vanilla and salt in large bowl until 
creamy. Add eggs; beat well.
Stir together flour, cocoa and 
baking soda; gradually add to 
butter mixture, beating until 
well blended. Stir in remaining
ingredients. Drop by rounded 
teaspoons onto ungreased cookie 
sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until 
set. Cool slightly; remove from cookie 
sheet to wire rack. Cool completely. 

I know the ones in the books have raisins, but I'm a chocolate person, who avoids all junk food that doesn't involve chocolate!

COCKROACH CLUSTERS

½ cup butter/margarine
½ cup milk
½ cup cocoa
2 cups sugar
2-4 Tablespoon peanut butter
3-4 cups oats (we use quick oats)
1 tsp vanilla

Bring butter, milk, cocoa, and sugar
to a boil; boil 1 minute. Remove
from heat. Add the remaining
ingredients and cool slightly. Drop
by spoonfuls onto wax paper and
let sit for at least 30 minutes (they
don’t last 20 minutes at our house!)
Do not double.

These are really simple and easy, and sound much more appetizing than chocolate covered chow mein noodles!

GOLDEN SNITCHES
(My mom's recipe)

1-2 boneless chicken breasts,
cooked and shredded
1 8 oz package cream cheese,
softened
1 Tablespoon finely chopped green onion
2 cans crescent rolls

Combine chicken, cream cheese,
and green onions. Separate roll
dough and put a spoonful of
mixture at the widest part of
triangle and roll up, forming a ball.
Bake according to package
directions until golden brown. May
be served with gravy!

My mom renamed these back when we first fell in love with Harry Potter. Golden Snitches is a much cooler name than "Chicken Pockets"!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...