Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Series Review: The Hunger Games Trilogy


 The Hunger Games


“In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

“Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.”
(blurb from Goodreads)


I read this almost a year ago and couldn’t wait to get my hands on the next ones. It was packed with adventure and excitement! I had never read any dystopia before, but I fell in love with it instantly. The writing was stunning. The characters were believable. The plot was thrilling. The romance was cute, but not serious. I think that’s one of the things I like the most about this series is that it has everything you want in a Young Adult novel, and it doesn’t have anything you don’t want (although the violence got pretty extreme at some points). I was so captivated from the beginning to the end!


Catching Fire


"Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark won the annual competition described in Hunger Games, but the aftermath leaves these victors with no sense of triumph. Instead, they have become the poster boys for a rebellion that they never planned to lead. That new, unwanted status puts them in the bull's-eye for merciless revenge by The Capitol. Catching Fire maintains the adrenaline rush of Suzanne Collins's series launch."
(blurb from Goodreads)


This is my favorite in the series! Everything about it is amazing! With an unplanned rebellion starting back up, Katniss isn’t sure what to do. Then she’s thrust back into the Games with Peeta!
Oh, how this book makes me love Peeta even more! I seriously want to hug him! He’s just so darn lovable! I love everything about him! He’s so clever!
This book has even more adventure than the last one! All the new characters are so awesome! And the old characters are even more awesome than they were in the last book. The ending caught me by surprise. I was literally on the edge of my seat -- reaching for Mockingjay, which was just a bit too out of reach!



 Mockingjay

"Young Katniss Everdeen has survived the dreaded Hunger Games not once, but twice, but even now she can find no relief. In fact, the dangers seem to be escalating: President Snow has declared an all-out war on Katniss, her family, her friends, and all the oppressed people of District 12. The thrill-packed final installment of Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games trilogy will keep young hearts pounding."
(blurb from Goodreads)


Exhilarating
Heart wrenching
Deep
Terrifying
Depressing
Dark
Compelling

These are the words that came to mind right after I finished. I think they sum up the whole series pretty well. I have to say I didn’t plan ahead when it came to reading this book. I finished it while squished in a mini van with my family in the middle of the night. I shed a couple tears after finishing, and my family was staring at me like I was crazy!
I found the beginning a bit slow, but then once the action started, it really didn’t stop until the very end. I have somewhat mixed feelings about the ending. I liked it, but I felt it could’ve been improved. I can’t hate any part of this book, though. 



2 comments:

  1. I love this series so, so much! It makes me so emotional; it's such a volatile series!

    I wouldn't have picked you for loving this one but I'm SO glad you do! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the first two books a lot more than the third. I wasn't totally satisfied with the ending either. I don't hate it, but something about it feels off. Perhaps it just wasn't where I thought things were headed. I heard Collins speak about why she wrote the books, and she was trying to make a point about the real price of war. So I understand a lot of the terrible things that she made happen in the last book, I think I just wish I felt a better sense of peace. But maybe Collins didn't want me to feel that way.
    Lauren @ Hughes Reviews

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...