Thursday, December 29, 2011

Challenges Galore!

It seems that everyone is signing up for reading challenges for the new year. I've decided to be ambitious and sign up for a couple. Here they are!

2012 Picture Book Reading Challenge
I'm aiming for level three--24 books. This shouldn't be too tough considering I have THOUSANDS (I'm not exaggerating--well, maybe a little) of picture books floating around my house, and my family goes to the library very frequently. 
As far as reviews go, I'm just planning on doing a mini review post at the end of each month including any and all picture books I've read in the past month. These will probably also include comments from my little sister who is just learning to read, adores picture books, and has very smart comments to make about almost anything. 

button12012 Award Winning Reads Challenge  

This past summer I enjoyed participating in the Award Winning Reads Challenge a lot. I got a chance to read some amazing books I otherwise would've turned my nose up at. I was so happy when I saw that Ashley and Jacinda were making it a year-long challenge. 

This year I'm setting a goal of 6 books. These are the books I'm planning on reading, but I'm sure it's going to change:

  • The Giver by Lois Lowry
  • Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIHM by Robert C. O'Brien
  • A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
  • Goign Bovine by Libba Bray
  • Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
  • The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

hop

2012 YA Mythology Challenge

The challenge is to read 10 YA or Middle grade novels that incorporate any type of Mythology in the story line (Greek, Egyptian, Norse, etc.).

I like mythology, but the only problem is the majority of Middle Grade literature about mythology is by Rick Riordan, and there is something about his writing that irks me. I cannot put my finger on it. Anyway, I'm kind of tweaking this challenge a bit to fit my interests, so I'll be reading some books that are focused on a certain kind of mythology, but also reading books that incorporate elements of mythology, yet don't solely focus on a certain type of mythology. If that doesn't make sense, maybe taking a look at my list will give you a better idea. 

(I couldn't resist slipping in a couple of fairy tale retellings (although they kind of incorporate 'real' mythology))

  • Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini
  • The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan
  • The Throne of Fire by Rick Riordan
  • Nobody's Princess by Esther M. Friesner
  • Nobody's Prize by Esther M. Friesner
  • The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter
  • Stork by Wendy Delsol
  • The Iron King by Jule Kawaga
  • Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout
  • Toads and Diamonds by Heather Tomlinson
  • Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow by Jessica Day George (I can't resist re-reading it!)



Reading Shakespeare: A Play a Month in 2012
I've had a couple tastes of Shakespeare this year and I'm excited to have more next year! Based on the results of the polls, the plays we participants will be reading are:

A Midsummer Night's Dream (I just read this)
Much Ado About Nothing
Twelfth Night
As You Like It
Henry V
Richard III
Cymbeline
Pericles
Macbeth
Antony and Clepoatra
Othello
King Lear

I haven't heard what order they're going in, if there's any order, or if these are even the plays that were decided on for sure. I guess I'll find out later.

2012 Support Your Local Library Challenge
I love libraries! I'm a poor teenager who can't afford to buy many books, so I'm stuck going to the library for most of my reading material. 
Right now I'm aiming for level 2--24 books. I would love to aim higher, but my family doesn't go to the library as frequently as I would like, and I don't have the power to change that (yet). 






Read Dystopia Challenge 2012
This year I got the chance to read some amazing dystopian books. I really didn't think I'd enjoy dystopia because. honestly, it sounds creepy. Who wants to read about a messed future society? Apparently now I do! 

I'm aiming for 4-6 books, making me an Intermediate Post World Trainee. I'm looking forward to reading some more epic dystopian epicness!
These are some books I'm considering


  • Uglies by Scott Westerfeld
  • Wither by Lauren DeStefano
  • Possession by Elana Johnson
  • Delirium by Lauren Oliver
  • Insurgent by Veronica Roth
  • UNTITLED (Matched 3) by Ally Condie


The Classics Reading Challenge 2012
Those of you who have been following for a while know that I attempted (and failed) to host a Read the Classics month back in July. This time I refuse to fail! I'm aiming for 4-6 books, but hopefully will be able to fit some more in. 
  • Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
  • Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
  • Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
  • The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton
  • Emma by Jane Austen
  • Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
And, of course, my own little concoction! The Fairy Tales Retold Challenge! If anyone has a chance to check it out and sign up, please do. It's going to be lots of fun. I'll be holding monthly discussions, and now I'm considering doing some giveaways and possibly a read-a-thon! 


I have no clue what books I'll be reading! I have some sitting on my shelves waiting to be read, and my library has some including the whole "Once Upon a Time" series and a bunch of other good stuff! I'll find a way to make this work out! 

UPDATE: I just realized that I said my family both goes to the library very frequently, and also that we rarely get to the library. The latter, sadly, is more true. We don't go to the library a whole lot, but when we do, we get tons of stuff, which makes it seem like we go frequently to the library. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for signing up. I look forward to seeing what you and your sister think about your selections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! This is Jessica from Thoughts At One In The Morning. I wanted to let you know I've got a review link up post up now for The Classics Reading Challenge 2012. Feel free to check it out and post your reviews there: http://thoughtsatoneinthemorning.blogspot.com/2012/09/classics-challenge-review-link-up.html

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...