Friday, January 6, 2012

Book Review: Book of a Thousand Days



When Dashti, a maid, and Lady Saren, her mistress, are shut in a tower for seven years for Saren’s refusal to marry a man she despises, the two prepare for a very long and dark imprisonment.
As food runs low and the days go from broiling hot to freezing cold, it is all Dashti can do to keep them fed and comfortable. But the arrival outside the tower of Saren’s two suitors—one welcome, and the other decidedly less so—brings both hope and great danger, and Dashti must make the desperate choices of a girl whose life is worth more than she knows.
With Shannon Hale’s lyrical language, this forgotten but classic fairy tale from the Brothers Grimm is reimagined and reset on the central Asian steppes; it is a completely unique retelling filled with adventure and romance, drama and disguise.


This is such a stunning novel. It tells a classic fairy tale in such a unique, original way. 
The beginning is extremely slow. The first time I read it, I found it boring. The second time around, it became my favorite part. It was boring, because there isn't much to write about when you're locked up in a stuffy old tower! I still enjoyed hearing about all the little problems they were facing. Those are the things you'd never think about while reading the original Maid Maleen
I think this book has the most beautiful writing out of all of Shannon Hale's books. It's a simple journal of a simple girl who went through so many hardships, yet stood strong throughout them all. 

 

2 comments:

  1. OMG! No one has read this book and it's sooooooo good! Dashti was such a strong female heroine and she grew so much during the story. And it was such a cool twist on Rapunzel! I would totally give it 5 stars too!

    If you haven't read Shannon Hale's Books of Bayern series, they are really good, too! The first book, Goose Girl, is based on a tale by the brothers Grimm.
    Lauren @ Hughes Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I LOVE the Books of Bayern! The Goose Girl is one of my all-time favorite books! I'm so glad I've found a fellow Shannon-nut!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...