Friday, January 6, 2012

Book Review: Briar Rose




Ever since she was a child, Rebecca has been enchanted by her grandmother Gemma's stories about Briar Rose. But a promise Rebecca makes to her dying grandmother will lead her on a remarkable journey to uncover the truth of Gemma's astonishing claim: I am Briar Rose. A journey that will lead her to unspeakable brutality and horror. But also to redemption and hope.

When I started this book, I had no clue how the Holocaust could be tied to Sleeping Beauty, and now I want to smack myself for not realizing it before! Jane Yolen certainly knew what she was doing!
I really felt this book belonged on the "Adult" shelf. It isn't that it was horribly inappropriate or overly complex, but it's about an adult learning about adult things. She goes on a journey trying to discover the dark past of her grandmother.
Her journey involves many things. Speaking with many different people and traveling to many different places. This aspect reminded me of the TV show "Who Do You Think You Are" where celebrities learn about their family history.  

MATURE CONTENT: 
The last 3/4 of the book, when the mysteries are being revealed and the whole story is falling into place, is told from the point of view of a homosexual, who spends some of the story talking about his past relationship, and the things he did. I don't recall it being too graphic, but that's because I kind if skimmed over those bits. I understand that homosexuals were treated horribly back then, and don't deserve to be judged, but I prefer not to hear all about their private life. 
I believe it says on the back cover 13+, but I'd say at least 15+


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...