Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Book Review: The Smile




Hers is the most famous portrait in the world. Here, in prose as rich as the high Renaissance, is Mona Lisa's tale; a story of passion, intrigue, loss, and, most of all, love. Elisabetta longs for romance, though she thinks she is too plain. Then, on a fateful visit to glittering Florence, she catches the eye of the great Leonardo da Vinci, and falls for a boy named Giuliano de Medici. It is a dangerous time to be or be involved with a Medici. As tragedy and chaos threaten their happiness, Elisabetta faces the bittersweet truth of love.

I've been to the Louvre and seen the painting in person. It's pretty small, and it was hard to see because we had to stand 10 feet away with a hundred other people. The moral of my story is that it looks a lot cooler on a computer screen.

On to the book!
I personally felt it didn't live up to my expectations.
The whole story was very depressing. I kept having hope that something happy would happen, but then something more depressing would pop up. The ending was very frustrating, and I wished it wasn't. It would've been so simple to mend things, but I guess the author was trying to keep it realistic or something? I don't know.
I found the historical aspect very interesting. I honestly know very little history. I love history, I just don't get the chance to study it very often because the rest of my life gets in the way. It started out as very intriguing, but by somewhere near the end of the middle, I was getting pretty sick of it. I can't remember exactly when in the book it was, but there would be long chapters of just explaining about these wars and political issues that would be much more interesting to read about on Wikipedia.
Don't get me wrong. It was still an okay book, I just have issues. If you like historical fiction that has a LOT of history in it, and don't mind frustrating endings, then have fun!


MATURE CONTENT:
There's lots of talk about marriage, and some of the things that come with marriage. I don't remember anything actually happening, though. Probably 13+



1 comment:

  1. I like history too but agree that it can really drag a book down. it's best in small doses. And I agree with a frustrating ending just killing a book for me!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...