Saturday, January 7, 2012

Book Review: A Tale Dark and Grimm



In this mischievous and utterly original debut, Hansel and Gretel walk out of their own story and into eight other classic Grimm-inspired tales. As readers follow the siblings through a forest brimming with menacing foes, they learn the true story behind (and beyond) the bread crumbs, edible houses, and outwitted witches.

Fairy tales have never been more irreverent or subversive as Hansel and Gretel learn to take charge of their destinies and become the clever architects of their own happily ever after.

I thought this was such a creative tale. It takes 8 fairy tales, most unfamiliar, and weaves them together into a wonderfully original plot.
I love how the author slightly manipulated the fairy tales so that they all fit together. He sought out to put together this puzzle that no one else bothered to mess with. All he had to do was bend a few pieces!
My favorite part of this book were the interruptions made my the narrator. Some were just to throw in a sarcastic joke, and some were to explain how illogical and gruesome these fairy tales are.
This is the kind of book I want to throw at all those people who talk about Happily Ever After and fairy tales like they're all fluffy goodness, to say that "No, you only know the Disney version. If you read any real fairy tales, you'd be so grossed out, you'd never say 'I wish I lived in a fairy tale' ever again!" That's not to say that I don't like the Disney version, I just don't like people who don't know what they're talking about when it comes to fairy tales.


2 comments:

  1. This looks great. Thanks for reviewing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been meaning to read this one for a while now. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...