Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Busting the Newbie Blues

So, I thought a great way to start off the year is by joining in on Small Review's Busting the Newbie Blues event!

When did you start your blog?
Honestly, I don't remember. My first post says it's from March 12th, 2011, but this blog didn't exist then! I just transferred it over from my old blog I think I officially started this blog sometime in early April.

Why did you start your blog?
Because I used to just post reviews on my personal blog, then I decided I might as well start a whole other blog just to post about books on.

What has been the biggest challenge you’ve faced so far?
Balancing it with my real life. When I first started, I never realized how time consuming it would be.

What do you find most discouraging about being a new blogger?
It kind of feels like I'm the new kid, and I don't really know anyone. I don't know very many people in the blogging community, and I feel kind of alone.

What do you find most encouraging?
Knowing that I'm sharing my love of books. Having that hope that someone might be reading something I've written about a book I love that might make them want to read it. 

What do you like best about the blogs you read? Have you tried to replicate this in your blog?
I think what I like the most about the blogs I read is that they're original. They don't just try to be like everybody else. They each have their own unique attributes that keep drawing me back to them. Also, the friendliness of the blogger. Someone who will keep up a conversation with you in the comments and make you feel welcomed into their circle of blogging buddies. 
I hope my blog has that original, friendly atmosphere that I love on other blogs!

What do you dislike about blogs you’ve read? Do you try to avoid this? 
I don't like it when there are so many filler posts and memes that you have a hard time finding something worth reading. I don't like doing a bunch of memes and filler posts because I don't want to spend all my time writing those posts when I could be writing reviews and other interesting posts. 

Any advice for other new bloggers?
Stick to it and get the word out! For the first couple of months, I had 3 followers. I still don't have that many followers. You'll never have any followers if you don't get the word out. Leave links to your blog in your comments. Find friends that can help get your word out! Do some random posts! It turns out my most popular post is about weird bookshelves!

Any questions you'd like to ask newbie or established bloggers? 
Of course, I want to know all about ARC's. I've looked for them, and found none within my reach. (I know all about Net Galley, but apparently I can't use it because of my age. It sucks.)
And then there's the all important question of "How do you get all those followers?"

Is there anything you’d like to tell us about your blog?
I'm a fairy tale addict. Anyone who takes a glance at my Review Archive will be able to see that most of the books I read are fairy tale retellings. And speaking of retellings, I'm currently hosting a Fairy Tale Retellings Challenge!

6 comments:

  1. Blogging is so much fun! And I love me some fairy tales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad I found you through the Newbie thingie! (As you can tell by the gazillion comments I just posted!) I was so excited to see that you've read and loved a lot of the same books as me!

    I'm looking forward to following you and discovering more great books!
    Lauren @ Hughes Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lauren for the gazillion comments! I love hearing what people have to say about books I love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great answers. Don't worry about ARCs. The bigger you get the more they will be offered to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG I am such a Fairy-tale and Classics retelling girl. I live for them. On my Pile I've got Cinder - the steampunk Cinderella by Marissa Meyer. I couldn't find the form to fill out to be GB for your Fairytale posts so send me an email to paulazone@live.com
    Im a new follower
    www.thephantomparagrapher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blogging is such a wonderful tool to have, especially as a young reader and writer. As for ARCs, as you continue to write reviews and build your blog readership, I would begin to contact the publishers directly for books that you would be interested in reviewing.

    For them to send you ARCs, they have to trust you. Not that you will automatically give them a positive review but that you will 1) read the book, and 2) write a review. When you solicit a book this way, you are sort of engaging in a contract that you will read and review. That doesn't mean that you must have a positive opinion, just an honest one.

    To get to the point where a publisher, agent, editor, or even writer will trust you as a reviewer, you have to have a body of work behind you. You are building that now with every review you write. Nothing is written in vain. Your writing will reveal your reading sensibility.

    Once you have the body of work, I'd take a look at those books that you enjoyed. Query those publishers. In fact, if you can find out who the editor is, query him or her and state that you already reviewed (a positive one, of course,) one of their books and would be happy to consider another if they'd like to put you on their ARC list. :) They will then check you and your blog out and make a decision. You won't be obligated to offer them anything other than a fair read and a fair review...not necessarily a positive one.

    I hope that helps. It's wonderful that you are doing this.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...