Friday, January 27, 2012

Picture Book Reviews!

Picture Books Read in January: 
  • The Three Pigs by David Wiesner
  • The Berenstain Bears: The Bike Lesson by Stan and Jan Berenstain
  • The Berenstain Bears: The Bears' Picnic by Stan and Jan Berenstain
  • The Berenstain Bears: The Bears' Vacation by Stan and Jan Berenstain
  • The Berenstain Bears: Bears in the Night by Stan and Jan Berenstain  
  • Pickle-Chiffon Pie by Jolly Roger Bradfield 

The Three Pigs by David Wiesner
This is such an epic book. Have you seen it? It starts off looking like just another picture book, but once you get past the first couple pages it transforms from a boring book with decent pictures, to a stunning adventure! It definitely deserves that Caldecott Medal!

The Berenstain Bears by Stan and Jan Berenstain
I grew up with these books. My mom would buy them from the thrift store, we'd check them out from the library, and my grandma would have most of them when we visited. And then there were the TV shows when I was older. The point is, I loved the Berenstain Bears.
The Bears' Picnic has always been my favorite. I remember reading it over and over again as a kid, and it was so much fun to read it to my sister who's the same age I was when I first fell in love with the bears.

Pickle-Chiffon Pie  by Jolly Roger Bradfield
I get so sad when I tell people about this book, and they've never heard of it! It's a fully original fairy tale of sorts. It involves a princess, 3 suitors, a contest, a juggling lion, painting mice, and some Pickle-Chiffon Pie! And that's just the beginning! Wait until you see the illustrations! They capture the whimsical nature of the story perfectly! (You can tell I like something when all the sentences end in exclamation points!!!)

Have you read any of these? What are your thoughts? Any recommendations for next months picture books?


These reviews are part of the 2012 Picture Book Reading Challenge, hosted by An Abundance of Books

Have you signed up for the Fairy Tales Retold Challenge?

2 comments:

  1. I love the cover on this book! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the Berenstain Bears growing up! There was one about the little Berenstain Bears (their names escape me now) not going to sleep that I particularly enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...