Friday, February 17, 2012

Book Review: The Giver


 

Jonas's world is perfect. Everything is under control. There is no war or fear or pain. There are no choices. Every person is assigned a role in the Community. When Jonas turns twelve, he is singled out to receive special training from The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of the true pain and pleasure of life. Now, it is time for Jonas to receive the truth. There is no turning back.
This was a very powerful story. It just a short, simple story about a boy discovering the world he lives in, but it has so much depth, symbolism, and just plain coolness that make it such a classic piece of literature.
Jonas' world seems like a perfect world that we'd all want to live in, but after Jonas becomes the Receiver, his world changes. He learns that the world used the be filled with so much happiness and pain, love and sorrow, which have all but disappeared from the bland world he resides in.
This has been a huge influence in dystopian literature. I think almost every dystopian book I've read has held some element of the Giver. It talks a lot about choices, and whether people should be able to make choices for themselves, or if the society and government should control everything. This is a question that is becoming more and more prominent in our world today, and I'll just say that I hope we don't end up living in some kind of freaky dystopian world!


This book was read as part of the Read Dystopia and Award Winning Reads Challenges



2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you saw what a classic this book was and how it influenced dystopian literature. It's such a small book that packs such a huge punch.

    I especially liked what you said about choices and people's freedom to make their own choices. That's definitely a huge idea in dystopian fiction.

    Great post!
    http://hughesya.blogspot.com/2012/01/book-review-cinder.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was one of the only books I read growing up and I loved it! And you're so right about most or almost all dystopians takes elements from this book! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=