Monday, February 6, 2012

Book Review: Possession








Vi knows the Rule: Girls don't walk with boys, and they never even think about kissing them. But no one makes Vi want to break the Rules more than Zenn...and since the Thinkers have chosen him as Vi's future match, how much trouble can one kiss cause? The Thinkers may have brainwashed the rest of the population, but Vi is determined to think for herself.

But the Thinkers are unusually persuasive, and they're set on convincing Vi to become one of them...starting by brainwashing Zenn. Vi can't leave Zenn in the Thinkers' hands, but she's wary of joining the rebellion, especially since that means teaming up with Jag. Jag is egotistical, charismatic, and dangerous--everything Zenn's not. Vi can't quite trust Jag and can't quite resist him, but she also can't give up on Zenn.

This is a game of control or be controlled. And Vi has no choice but to play.
Interesting...

I can't say I loved this book, but I didn't really dislike it, either. I have pretty neutral feelings towards it.
I couldn't really get a good sense of the society that they lived it, and that's one of the things that pulls me into dystopia the most is the society. I really wish there had been more description. 


I wasn't lovin' Jag or Zenn as boyfriends. Jag has some serious commitment issues, as he'll just walk of randomly and come back a couple days later to apologize insincerely. I think I could grow to like Zenn, but for the majority of his screen time, he was being brainwashed by the not-so-good-after-all guys. I think the biggest reason I didn't like either of them as boyfriends was because Vi seems like the kind of strong character who doesn't need a boyfriend. 


It certainly wasn't lacking in excitement! Every page had another adventure waiting on it. 
Another thing I was had been explained more thoroughly were these super powers (if that's what I should call them). They were so intriguing, and I wish I'd been able to understand them better.  

MATURE CONTENT:
Medium-low in the sensuality department. I don't recall any really bad stuff, but there's certainly a bit. More profanity than I would've liked. Before I was even 100 pages through I was sick of hearing h*** and d*** over and over again! 

All in all, it was a good book, but not one of my favorites.



Read as part of the Read Dystopia Challenge, hosted by Book Journey

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read Possession, but it sounds a lot like Matched, which I loved. Once you've let Possession settle, I bit, I'd recommend picking up Matched. It keeps the aspects you liked about Possession, but the characterization and world-building are excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read and reviewed both Matched and Crossed, which I loved. I know Possession sounds similar, but it's very different. It really doesn't focus a whole lot on the matching, and the majority of the book is spent out of the part of the society that's at all similar to the society in Matched. I agree that the characters and world-building are amazing in Matched. I think if those things had been better in Possession, I would've liked it much more.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...