Monday, April 30, 2012

Author Interview: Jessica Day George

image

As a finale of sorts to Fairy Tale Fortnight, I have one of my all-time favorite authors on the blog! If you guessed Jessica Day George, then you’re right! I’ve reviewed all her books, which you can find here! (Note that she has maintained a 5 star average rating on this blog because she IS that good!)

Jessica Day George earned a BA in Humanities/Comparative Literature from Brigham Young University, where she enjoyed classes in Pottery and Old Norse, and dutifully forced herself to take Algebra and Biology. Originally from Idaho, she now resides in Salt Lake City, Utah, with her husband, their young son, and a five pound Maltese named Pippin.

When did you first know you wanted to be a writer?

When I was 11 years old, I read THE HERO AND THE CROWN and THE BLUE SWORD.  I loved them so much (still do!), that when I realized writing fantasy books was a job, I decided to be just like Robin McKinley when I grew up!


Where do your ideas come from?

Everywhere!  The other day in the shower I was singing Led Zeppelin's "The Immigrant Song" and came up with an idea.


Who inspires you to write?

Robin McKinley, Diana Wynne Jones, Guy Gavriel Kay, Neil Gaiman . . . good writers everywhere!


What’s the first story you can remember writing?

In kindergarten I wrote a story about my sister and her red bathrobe.  I also illustrated it.  It was a lovely bathrobe.


What do you do when you aren’t writing?

I read.  Also knit.  Sometimes I sleep.


Which work of yours are you most proud of?

Um.  You realize that this is like asking someone which of their children they're most proud of, right?  *cough cough* SUN AND MOON, ICE AND SNOW *cough cough*


What are you working on now?

I'm editing the third book in the Twelve Dancing Princesses saga, PRINCESS OF THE SILVER WOODS.


What advice do you have for aspiring writers?

1. Write.  2. Read.


If you had to choose, which fairy tale would you retell next?

Um, I do get to choose.  And I chose Red Riding Hood. 


You get to choose any of your characters to go out to lunch with. Who do you pick, where do you go, and what do they order?

Shardas, the king of the dragons.  We go to a meadow somewhere, and he eats the sheep in the meadow.  I have a nice salad.


If you could meet any author (living or dead), who would it be?

Edith Wharton


What are 3 words that best describe your personality?

Dramatic, sarcastic, chocoholic


You are trapped on a desert island, with no way to escape. What 3 books would you bring?

THE BOOK OF MORMON (and when rescued, would impress the world with my scriptural knowledge!), HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE by Diana Wynne Jones, and THE SARANTINE MOSIAC by Guy Gavreil Kay (and that's not cheating, they really are one book split into two, SAILING TO SARANTIUM and LORD OF EMPERORS).


If you had to choose one food to eat for the rest of your life, what would it be?

A moist chocolate cake with dark chocolate ganache.


and finally...Harry Potter or Hunger Games?

Harry Potter.

 

Who thinks Jessica sounds awesome? Guess what—this only describes a fraction of her awesomeness! Go read her books today!

image

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...