Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Book Review: My Very UnFairy Tale Life by Anna Staniszewski

image

 

 

"You know all those stories that claim fairies cry sparkle tears and elves travel by rainbow? They're lies. All lies." Twelve-year-old Jenny has spent the last two years as an adventurer helping magical kingdoms around the universe. But it's a thankless job, leaving her no time for school or friends. She'd almost rather take a math test than rescue yet another magical creature When Jenny is sent on yet another mission, she has a tough choice to make: quit and have her normal life back, or fulfill her promise and go into a battle she doesn't think she can win.

This was a super quick, fun, and quirky book. I didn’t know anything about it besides it had an awesome title and cover, but that was enough to make me pick it up just in time for Fairy Tale Fortnight!

It was action packed and tons of fun! Jenny is an Adventurer, and as such, has the responsibility to keep peace among the many magical realms. This leads her on many strange quests, which result in things such as being stabbed by a unicorn horn and having her mouth removed by a lunatic clown.

And speaking of clowns, Klarr sure was creepy. A clown with no mouth who has cursed practically everyone elses mouths off. I’ve never liked clowns, but I think Klarr has just ensured that I don’t head to the circus any time soon! (And as I type this, my friend who is, in fact, a professional clown (yes, I know), is liking my facebook status…)

Other than that, I loved all the characters. They were fun and definitely belong in fairy tale worlds. Anthony was definitely a favorite. He reminded me very much of Chrissy from My Fair Godmother. He’s the side-kick/helper who manages to get by doing the bare minimum, while spending most of the time with something trivial (in his case, candy!)

The writing was fun and light, and carried the story with ease, and lots of humor. There were many moments when I was smiling a cheesy grin or giggling out loud. All in all, it was a fun and very unique adventure, and I look forward to going on another adventure like that sometime soon!

stars

image

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for reviewing my book. I'm so glad you enjoyed it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love quirky, and this sounds really cute and fun! I did laugh at the clown bit though, my mother clowned as well, so I never really got that whole fear. The mouth thing though? Terrifying? There's some old horror movie where this happens, and it kind of haunts me to this day. I'm happy to have read this review, I honestly probably wouldn't have picked it up because of the cover. I like the girl and the frog, but for some reason I hold a prejudice against unicorns. I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not exactly scared of clowns, but this clown didn't really do anything to make me like him! And as far as the mouths go, what got me the most was imagining seeing crowds of animals without any mouths.
      I'm not crazy over the unicorn, but I think the cover in general is a perfect fit! You should definitely check it out!

      Delete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...