Thursday, April 26, 2012

Book Review: Shadows on the Moon by Zoë Marriott

image


Sixteen-year-old Suzume is a shadow weaver, trained in the magical art of illusion. She can be anyone she wants to be -- except herself. Is she the girl of noble birth, trapped by the tyranny of her mother’s new husband, Lord Terayama? A lowly drudge scraping a living in the ashes of Terayama’s kitchens? Or Yue, the most beautiful courtesan in the Moonlit Lands? Even Suzume is no longer sure of her true identity. But she is determined to steal the heart of the Moon Prince, and exact revenge on her stepfather for the death of her family. And nothing will stop her. Not even her love for fellow shadow weaver Otieno, the one man who can see through her illusions...
Set in a faery tale version of ancient Japan, Shadows on the Moon shakes up the Cinderella story with its brave, resourceful and passionate heroine.
A powerful tale of magic, love, and revenge set in fairy-tale Japan.
This is probably one of the darkest Cinderella retellings out there. That being said, it’s also one of the best. The emotional journey that Suzume goes through is astounding. She starts out as a timid girl and grows to be a strong young woman.
The writing captured me right away! From the moment I opened the book, I knew it would be hard lot to love. It was powerful and fluid and told the story in an almost magical way.
This book was very dark and heavy, but not at all in a bad way. After a reading session of about 5 chapters, I’d feel overwhelmed by everything that went on, and I’d need to take a break for something lighter, but at the same time I’d want to keep going, because I couldn’t wait to find out what happened next!
While I was reading, I would fall so deep into the story that I would forget it’s a retelling of Cinderella until I’d take a moment to stop and realize all the subtle elements of the fairy tale weaving their way into the plot.
MATURE CONTENT:
This book was just dark. It starts right off with lots of murder, and it doesn’t get much happier as the story progresses. There’s cutting, which made me shudder because I’m just scared of sharp things in general. Revenge is a big theme of this book, and it isn’t taken lightly.
There’s also some sexual stuff, but it was very quick and not very explicit, so I didn’t mind it that much. (Oh, and there’s also a cross dresser of sorts. Kind of weird…)
image
image
image
I received an ARC to read and review, and received no compensation for this review

1 comment:

  1. This book is so good, a 5-star read all the way! I'm excited to read other books by Zoe Marriott, feels like I have been missing out :-) Great review!
    NC
    Truly Bookish

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...