Thursday, April 26, 2012

Book Review: The Swan Kingdom by Zoë Marriott

image

 

 

Shadows fall across the beautiful, lush kingdom after the queen is attacked by an unnatural beast, and the healing skills of her daughter, Alexandra, cannot save her. Too soon the widowed king is spellbound by a frightening stranger, a woman whose eyes reflect no light. In a terrifying moment, all Alexandra knows disappears, including her beloved brothers, leaving her banished to a barren land. But Alexandra has more gifts than she realizes as she confronts magic, murder, and the strongest of evil forces, and is unflinchingly brave as she struggles to reclaim what is rightfully hers. Fantasy lovers will be held in thrall by this tale full of visual detail, peppered with a formidable destructive force and sweetened with familial and romantic love.

A new voice in fantasy weaves a rich, entrancing tale of a girl with powerful healing gifts --- and the courage to use them to save her ailing kingdom.

It’s so difficult to find words to properly describe my love of Zoe Marriott. This book was absolutely stunning. It’s hard to find a single fault within these pages. The writing was gorgeous. I knew it would be, but I loved it much more than I ever thought I could’ve. It flowed so gracefully, and told the story beautifully.

All the characters were amazing. They were realistic, but at the same time most certainly belonged in a fairy tale. Alexandra was a wonderful, strong heroine. Though I found her a bit stubborn at some times, for the most part I enjoyed reading of her journey. Oh, and Gabriel. I want a Gabriel. He’s the perfect prince charming!

My one complaint is that it ended too quickly. I would’ve been happy with 100 more pages for the ending to play out more thoroughly. The ending was still very powerful and one of my favorite parts, but it was so quick, and I may have enjoyed it more if it had been more thought out.

This book felt familiar, like an old friend, but at the same time was very fresh. It’s a very original retelling that will capture the hearts of many!

stars

image

image

3 comments:

  1. Debz, I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed this one so much! I read my first Marriot book a couple of weeks ago, Shadows on the Moon, and I knew instantly that she was an author I needed to read everything of. Her writing is so beautiful and well-constructed, and I cannot wait to read this one as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read anything by this author before, however, 0I've wanted to read this book for a long time. It's nice to know that it was a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read this... but I honestly can't remember much beyond the notion that I expected more. I didn't like the speedy ending either.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...