Tuesday, May 29, 2012

{Blog Tour} Book Review: Unbreak My Heart

Unbreak My Heart


Sophomore year broke Clementine Williams’ heart. She fell for her best friend’s boyfriend and long story short: he’s excused, but Clem is vilified and she heads into summer with zero social life.
Enter her parents’ plan to spend the summer on their sailboat. Normally the idea of being stuck on a tiny boat with her parents and little sister would make Clem break out in hives, but floating away sounds pretty good right now.
Then she meets James at one of their first stops along the river. He and his dad are sailing for the summer and he’s just the distraction Clem needs. Can he break down Clem’s walls and heal her broken heart?
Told in alternating chapters that chronicle the year that broke Clem’s heart and the summer that healed it, Unbreak My Heart is a wonderful dual love story that fans of Sarah Dessen, Deb Caletti, and Susane Colasanti will flock to.
When I first heard about this book, I didn’t think much of it. It looked like a light, fluffy, contemporary love story, but it was much, much more than that. It was deep and wonderful and beautiful!
This wasn’t a “love story” in the traditional sense. It isn’t about a boy/girl relationship as much as it is about a best friend relationship. After a difficult and unresolved friend-breakup, Clem spends the whole summer away from the rest of the world trying to set her emotions straight and find herself again. The emotional journey she goes through is a complete metamorphosis.
James is one of my all-time favorite guys in YA lit. He’s just so happy and likeable, and he’s a ginger! Olive was another wonderful character. She reminded me of myself when I was 10 (which was kind of creepy). All the supporting characters were just as amazing and real.
The writing was clean and crisp. I loved the way the chapters would alternate between Clem’s summer, and the events leading up to it. The way that most of the chapters began with a failed attempt at a letter was so smart. It was only a sentence or two, but it added a lot to the overall feel of the book.
If you’re looking for a bittersweet contemporary novel, you need to check Unbreak My Heart out. It’s the perfect summertime book, too!
stars
I received an advance eGalley to read and review, and received no compensation for this review

2 comments:

  1. I can't see the title of this book without getting the Toni Braxton song stuck in my head! And I must say, I dismissed this book as a light, girly contemporary that I most likely wouldn't enjoy (although I'm beginning to like contemporaries a lot more!). So thanks for your review - this book sounds like so much more than that! I'm off to add it to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While it does have it's light and girly elements, it's also got a lot of great meaningful stuff. It's definitely worth a read!

      Delete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...