Friday, May 11, 2012

Book Review: Incarnate by Jodi Meadows

image

 

 

New soul

Ana is new. For thousands of years in Range, a million souls have been reincarnated over and over, keeping their memories and experiences from previous lifetimes. When Ana was born, another soul vanished, and no one knows why.

No soul

Even Ana's own mother thinks she's a nosoul, an omen of worse things to come, and has kept her away from society. To escape her seclusion and learn whether she'll be reincarnated, Ana travels to the city of Heart, but its citizens are afraid of what her presence means. When dragons and sylph attack the city, is Ana to blame?

Heart

Sam believes Ana's new soul is good and worthwhile. When he stands up for her, their relationship blooms. But can he love someone who may live only once, and will Ana's enemies--human and creature alike--let them be together? Ana needs to uncover the mistake that gave her someone else's life, but will her quest threaten the peace of Heart and destroy the promise of reincarnation for all?

Absolutely one of the most unique books I’ve read this year! It’s completely different from anything else I’ve ever read. I mean, it’s a romantic dystopian fantasy!

The world building was wonderful. The world itself was very strange, but it was beautifully constructed. I found it kind of hard to see how dragons could fit into this universe, but it worked out rather nicely. I was somewhat creeped out by the white, pulsating tower and wall surrounding the city at first, but it mostly made sense by the end.

I wasn’t sure what to think about all the whole reincarnation thing. Because of my personal beliefs I felt slightly uncomfortable with it, but overall I thought it was handled well. One thing I didn’t understand is why and how these people found life worth living after 5000 years of it. I think there’s magic when you experience a first anything—first steps, first kiss—and that magic is lost when you’ve already done it a thousand times, just with a new body each time.

I thought the character development was very evident. Ana starts out with no self esteem, treating herself like she’s less than nothing, and grows into a strong, confident woman.

Sam was great. While this is most certainly Ana’s story, Sam’s role is just as important. I loved the way he respected her. He was so considerate and kind to her, when no one else was. And the romance grew into something lovely and real.

I loved the symbolism of the music and the butterflies and how they all tied together so well with the plot. I wish I had some examples of how poetically these symbols were drawn, because it really was beautiful. Jodi is one powerful writer!

stars

2 comments:

  1. Lovely review! :) With the cover reveal for ASUNDER last week, I'm really regretting that I haven't read INCARNATE yet and your review makes that even worse. Really hope to get to it soon. :)

    Carina
    Fictional Distraction

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also loved this book! It really is a piece of art! Can't wait to read Asunder!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...