Thursday, May 24, 2012

Book Review: Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

poseidon


Galen, a Syrena prince, searches land for a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. It’s while Emma is on vacation at the beach that she meets Galen. Although their connection is immediate and powerful, Galen's not fully convinced that Emma's the one he's been looking for. That is, until a deadly encounter with a shark proves  that Emma and her Gift may be the only thing that can save his kingdom. He needs her help--no matter what the risk.
This is the perfect beach book! I actually live by the beach, and just happened to be out of town when I read it. I know—it sucks! But this book was determined to get part of the beach experience, so it spilled a bottle of water all over itself! Anyway…onto the actually review!
From the first page I was hooked. There was never a dull moment. Whenever the opportunity for one arose, Emma and Galen were sure to do something exciting! And while I guessed the GINORMOUS twist very early on, there were lots of surprises popping up that kept me captivated.
The plot was very character driven, which I really liked. They each added their own unique personality to the story, and kept me giggling the whole way through. I especially loved Galen, who was so sweet and considerate and loyal. I didn’t love Emma, but she was satisfactory enough.
I loved the whole Syrena culture and history. My favorite scenes were those with the Archives (old Syrena whose job it is to remember the history (think the Giver)) sharing their memories with Galen. I also found the science of the Syrena interesting as the search for what exactly Emma is goes on.
MATURE CONTENT:
The one thing I didn’t like about this book is the fact that basically everything on the characters minds is sleeping with each other. I prefer my characters with somewhat cleaner minds. Because of how frequent this was, I had to knock the rating down a whole star and a half. Other than that, this book was fanflippingtastic!
stars
I received an ARC to read and review, and received no compensation for this review

6 comments:

  1. As someone who prefers more "mature" Young Adult books, I had no problem with the characters' dirty minds, but I can completely understand where you're coming from. But I'm glad you enjoyed OF POSEIDON nonetheless, because I absolutely adored it. Can't wait for the sequel after that mean, mean cliffhanger. :D

    Carina
    Fictional Distraction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that cliffhanger was cruel. I had 20 pages left and I was all like "What? There's no way they can explain everything with so few pages left!" And yet they did (sort of). Can't wait to see what happens next!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Ooooh, I like the idea of a Giver-like job! I have a copy of this one on the shelf, just waiting for the opportune moment. Right now, I'm thinking that might be when it stops raining and I head out to the beach this summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get to read it soon. You'll definitely enjoy it!

      Just remember to keep it away from the water. Books don't look pretty with water damage!

      Delete
  3. love the review! I really enjoyed this book as well:) I only wish that I could have read it at a beach unfortunately I am not luck enough to live by one:(

    I just recently came across your blog and noticed that you are a fan of Fairy Tales as well and joined the Fairytale's Retold Challenge. Anyway I know the perfect book that you should defintley read if you haven't yet its called "Tiger's Curse" by Colleen Houck and its not a retelling, but it could (and should) be its own original fairytale!This is an amazing story with beauty and the beast elements that I'm sure you will love. If you decide to read it I would love to hear what you think(:


    Can't wait to read more of your posts!

    Katie

    Curse of the Bibliophile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie!

      Thanks for joining the FTR challenge. I hope you have fun reading fairy tales with us (although, how can you not have fun reading fairy tales?)

      I've heard good things about Tiger's Curse, but haven't looked into it much. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll be searching the library for a copy this week!

      Delete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...