Friday, May 25, 2012

DNF Review: Born Wicked

Born Wicked (The Cahill Witch Chronicles, #1)

 

 

Everybody knows Cate Cahill and her sisters are eccentric. Too pretty, too reclusive, and far too educated for their own good. But the truth is even worse: they’re witches. And if their secret is discovered by the priests of the Brotherhood, it would mean an asylum, a prison ship—or an early grave.
Before her mother died, Cate promised to protect her sisters. But with only six months left to choose between marriage and the Sisterhood, she might not be able to keep her word... especially after she finds her mother’s diary, uncovering a secret that could spell her family’s destruction. Desperate to find alternatives to their fate, Cate starts scouring banned books and questioning rebellious new friends, all while juggling tea parties, shocking marriage proposals, and a forbidden romance with the completely unsuitable Finn Belastra.
If what her mother wrote is true, the Cahill girls aren’t safe. Not from the Brotherhood, the Sisterhood—not even from each other.

I guess I'll just say that I probably shouldn't have picked this book up in the first place. I knew it was about witchcraft and that there was a religious group that opposed the witchcraft. I think I would've loved this book if it weren't for the fact that I agreed with almost everything the Brotherhood said, and apparently the Brotherhood are the bad guys.

I only got about 50 pages in, then decided to stop because if I have a problem with something like that, then I can't judge it fairly, and I'd hate to give it a bad review for personal reasons.

So if you don’t have my problems, I’d definitely recommend this book to you!

8 comments:

  1. I recently read this book, too! I was completely sympathizing with all the other bloggers who didn't finish it because Cate is just so whiny in the beginning. But I stuck it out, and she gets a lot stronger by the end!

    In real life, I probably would be with the Brotherhood on some issues (not book censorship!). I just dealt with them for the sake of the story. But, in general, I do tend to be annoyed by religious groups that are portrayed excessively badly in literature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I didn't get far enough to pick up much, but that which I did I didn't love. There's still a slim possibility I'll pick it up again, but it's supposed to be going back to the library any day now.

      Religion in books in general bugs me because I'm a very religious person, and the religious groups are most often portrayed as lunatics.

      Thanks for stopping by, Briana!

      Delete
  2. That would be hard to root for a heroine when you agree with everything her "enemies" say! :) I can understand why this one wasn't for you then. I haven't read this one, but I do plan to sometime soon! Thanks for your honest opinion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it. From what I read, it seems like a really good book, I just couldn't tolerate the Brotherhood at all.

      Delete
  3. Awwwwwwww too bad!!!!!!! I am a big fan of witch themed books and I love this cover of this one so I really wanted to read it but after reading your review I think I will not! Thank you for the honest review :)

    SeeitORreadit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want people to get the wrong idea. This is actually a really good book, I just hate these oober-religious groups being portrayed as the bad guys in literature (even though they are kind of extreme). I hope you still give it a chance, especially if you like witch-themed books, because it's definitely worth a read!

      Delete
  4. The whole "religion is totally evil" part was too heavy-handed for my tastes, too. I don't mind it if religion is included, but it would have been nicer to have it be a little more balanced and less black and white. I DNF-ed also. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I think that's why I disliked it so much, because religion isn't all black and white. There are both good and bad religious and non-religious people, and I think that isn't represented well in YA fiction. I'd rather no religion than have the religion come off badly.

      Delete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...