Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Book Review: The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

 The Iron King (The Iron Fey, #1)

 

 

Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined.

Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.

I have no idea why I didn’t read this sooner! For some reason I’ve always hated faeries, but this was much more than just faeries. This is like every magical universe you’ve grown up reading about all twisted together. It was like a wonderful mixture of Narnia, Neverland, Wonderland, and every other fantastical place you grew up reading about.

The plot was excellent in every way. It was full of unexpected twists and turns. I was impressed by Meghan’s character. She was strong, quick thinking, and compassionate, and I loved her for it. Many of the other characters were just as interesting and enjoyable.

I wasn’t a big fan of either love interest. I liked Puck as a friend, but he was missing during the last 1/3, leading to no relationship development, and leaving tons of room for Ash to step in and become the only somewhat sane male for Meghan to hang with. I just couldn’t connect with Ash. He creeped me out, and I don’t think I’d be able to stand being around him, let alone kiss him!

The writing was pretty good. Not completely brilliant, but still a job well done. The pacing was fast and exciting, but still took time out for character and plot development. The descriptions of the fairyland were almost beyond description, and made me smile.

Overall this book was wonderful. It wasn’t perfect, but pretty close!

stars

3 comments:

  1. I'm interested to see what you think of the next book if you keep going. I liked this one quite a bit, but pretty much hated the second--it just got too dramatic and focused too much on the love triangle for me, and I wasn't really in to Puck or Ash either. So many people love this series though, so hopefully it works for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... I'm not a big fan of dramatic love triangles, but hopefully I'll be able to plow through the rest of the series! I'm excited to see where it goes.

      Delete
  2. I love,love, love The Iron King series Debz!!! I so glad you did too! I couldn't never pick between Ash and Puck, well I guess for Meghan it's definitely Ash lol! but I always loved Puck too lol! Thanks for the great review!

    new follower :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...