Sunday, July 8, 2012

Book Review: The Selection by Kiera Cass

The Selection (The Selection, #1) 

 

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

I know this book has about a zillion negative reviews, but I absolutely fell in love with it. I was expecting a sparkly fairy tale with hints of dystopia, and my expectations were more than met. I was actually completely uninterested in this book when I first heard about it, because I hate the Bachelor, but then I heard someone say it’s like Princess Academy for older teens, and I was instantly hooked!

I think one reason people were somewhat turned off by this book was because it was compared to the Hunger Games, and they were expecting violence. But I see why the comparison was made. The first hundred pages or so were almost identical. Like borderline plagiarism. I could go on for hours pointing out the similarities (and maybe I will, but that’s another post!) I thought it was almost funny, though.

The characters were kind of stereotypical, but still kept me interested. The love triangle was horribly cliché, but I survived. I didn’t like America’s behavior towards either love interest. She was so resistant and stubborn, when both boys were willing to do almost anything for her. Aspen had some anger issues, but Maxon was a sweetheart.

The world-building wasn’t excellent, but definitely had some interesting aspects. It was most certainly a lighter dystopian read, but I was okay with that, because there’s so much dark, post-apocalyptic stuff out there, which I’m not crazy about.

If you’re in the mood for a fairytale romance in a slightly twisted society, I highly recommend this one!

stars

1 comment:

  1. I was actually mildly interested in this in the sense I expected it to be a fun, light read, but I have to admit I was a bit turned off by the whole "scandal." I think I might still read in the future if I run across it, but I won't be buying it.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...