Thursday, July 19, 2012

Book Review: Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

Starcrossed (Starcrossed, #1) 

 

Set on the island of Nantucket, STARCROSSED tells the tale of Helen Hamilton, a young woman whose destiny is forever altered when she meets Lucas Delos and tries to kill him in front of her entire high school. Which is terribly inconvenient, not only because Lucas is the most beautiful boy on the island, but also because Helen is so achingly shy she suffers physical pain whenever she is given too much attention.

Making matters worse, Helen is beginning to suspect she’s going crazy. Whenever she’s near Lucas or any member of his family she sees the ghostly apparitions of three women weeping bloody tears, and suffers the burden of an intense and irrational hate. She soon learns that she and Lucas are destined to play the leading roles in a Greek tragedy that the Three Fates insist on repeating over and over again throughout history. Like her namesake, Helen of Troy, she’s destined to start a war by falling in love. But even though Lucas and Helen can see their own star-crossed destiny, they’re still powerfully attracted to each other. Will they give up their personal happiness for the greater good, or risk it all to be together?

This book was really good, but it also wasn’t that great. The best way I can describe it is Percy Jackson meets Twilight, and if you know me, you know those are my two least favorite series, so I’m actually impressed by how much I liked it.

I kinda liked how Helen and Lucas’ relationship started off as an insta-hate, but it just felt so unrealistic most of the time, and then the Fates disappear and POOF they literally can’t keep their hands off each other. I don’t care if you’re starcrossed lovers, it doesn’t work like that! And then Helen got all mad because Lucas wouldn’t sleep with her, even though doing so would start a war.

The supporting characters were probably my favorite part of this whole book. All the characters, especially the Delos family, were funny, smart, and realistic. I just wanted to spend the whole book with them! I loved how the Delos family was always together. That’s something refreshing in YA lit, since most families aren’t portrayed as having that kind of relationship.

The plot was really really good. The pacing was fantastic. There’s nothing spectacular about it that comes to mind, but it kept me on the edge of my seat ‘til the end. The ways ancient mythology were tied into the story were so creative and interesting.

I’m glad I read this book, and I’ll gladly read the second, but it wasn’t anything incredible.

stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...