Saturday, July 28, 2012

Book Review: Uncommon Criminals by Ally Carter

Uncommon Criminals (Heist Society, #2) 

 

 

Katarina Bishop has worn a lot of labels in her short life life. Friend. Niece. Daughter. Thief. But for the last two months she’s simply been known as the girl who ran the crew that robbed the greatest museum in the world. That’s why Kat isn’t surprised when she’s asked to steal the infamous Cleopatra Emerald so it can be returned to its rightful owners.

There are only three problems. First, the gem hasn’t been seen in public in thirty years. Second, since the fall of the Egyptian empire and the suicide of Cleopatra, no one who holds the emerald keeps it for long, and in Kat’s world, history almost always repeats itself. But it’s the third problem that makes Kat’s crew the most nervous and that is simply… the emerald is cursed.

Kat might be in way over her head, but she’s not going down without a fight. After all she has her best friend—the gorgeous Hale—and the rest of her crew with her as they chase the Cleopatra around the globe, dodging curses, realizing that the same tricks and cons her family has used for centuries are useless this time.

Which means, this time, Katarina Bishop is making up her own rules.

This book was exactly what I needed. I finished this book in, like, less than 3 hours. Which is unheard of coming from me, because I’m a super slow reader (Heist Society probably took me about 7 hours (not that I keep track)). It was just so fast-paced and fun that I couldn’t put it down!

It’s very possible that this was better than Heist Society. This time, instead of dealing with some unknown paintings, Kat’s dealing with a cursed emerald, a mysterious woman who seems like an older Kat, and a frustrating, but nonetheless sweet, romance with W. W. Hale!

I really liked the writing style. I know contemporary stuff can feel really generic sometimes, but this had so much personality to it! It was so clever, with subtle hints of humor. It tied together the story in a way that could keep even the most apprehensive readers entertained.

stars

Writing: 20 Characters: 25 Romance: 20 Plot: 25

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...