Saturday, August 11, 2012

{Utah Book Month} Book Review: Fablehaven by Brandon Mull


Fablehaven (Fablehaven, #1)



Danger lurks everywhere at Fablehaven, where someone has released a plague that transforms beings of light into creatures of darkness. In dire need of help, the Sorensons question where to turn, now that long trusted allies have been revealed as potential foes. Kendra embarks on a special mission that only she can attempt because of her new abilities as fairykind, while Seth stays behind and discovers an incredible new talent of his own. The siblings are put to the test as the threat grows both abroad and home at the Fablehaven preserve, and Brandon Mull spins his richest and most thrilling fantasy tale yet in this third title of the popular fantasy series.
I have a (very obvious) secret. I hate cliche middle grade novels where a group of kids discover a magical secret and go on a quest to save the day. After Harry Potter, that seemed to be the theme of every single book out there. This is one of those books. So I had really low expectations. But I actually enjoyed it, despite being completely cliche and predictable.

The characters where cardboard cut outs, but still kind of fun to read about. Kendra was the bossy older sister, and Seth was the disobedient little brother. And grandpa and the housekeeper both turned out to be a lot cooler than they thought. There was some character development, but it didn't come off as realistic at all.

The writing was probably my favorite part of the book. It was excellent, and is probably what kept me reading more than anything else. The descriptions were awesome and beautiful, but at the same was very light and humorous.

And even though I despise an excess of magical creatures, I had fun discovering these brand new takes on classic fantastical creatures!


Writing: 25 Characters: 15 Relationships: 15 Plot:15

2 comments:

  1. aw, I loved Fablehaven. :) The satyrs were the best. If you read the rest of the series, I think it's a little less cliche, though each book is about finding a certain artifact. He adds more some more funny characters too. Nice review!

    Jessica @ Books: A true story

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't into this one. I felt like the book focused too much on the kids being disobedient. I like how imaginative it was though.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...