Wednesday, August 15, 2012

{Utah Book Month} Book Review: Everneath by Brodi Ashton

9413044 

 

 

Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she’s returned—to her old life, her family, her friends—before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can’t find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there’s a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he’ll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.

As Nikki’s time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she’s forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole’s...

I was so pleasantly surprised by this book. I went into it with low expectations because A) it’s a mythology retelling, B) there’s a weird love triangle, C) it has a “pretty girl in a dress” cover. But guess what, it all works out really well!

I found all the characters very interesting. Nikki was realistic and convincing. And Jack was pretty awesome. He was both sweet and tough, and a perfect companion for Nikki. And even though they aren’t really “together” for most of the book, they still had good chemistry. I also liked the fact that they had already been together for a while before the book (if you forget about the 100 years Nikki was trapped in the Everneath), instead of it being a cliché insta-love kind of relationship.

Cole was just…creepy. I guess he’s supposed to be, since he’s taking on the role of Hades and everything, but he’s still a weird immortal stalker. But at the same time, that’s one of the reasons I liked his character so much.

I also loved the way elements of the classic myth found their way into the story, while remaining original. I also loved soaking up all the history, true and false, that this story was saturated in. There was so much to learn about the how and why, and I hope that book two comes packed with even more.

The writing was simple and beautiful and very descriptively told and equally beautiful story. I can’t wait to read more by Brodi Ashton!

stars

Writing: 25 Characters: 20 Romance: 20 Plot: 25

1 comment:

  1. I agree - Jack and Nikki had great chemistry. I could tell through the whole book that he was worried about her and missed her a lot when she was gone (you know, in hell...). Love your review!

    Jessica @ Books: A true story

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...