Monday, September 24, 2012

Book Review: The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson

6738968 

 

 

Everything is different

Seventeen-year-old Jenna Fox has just awoken from a year-long coma - so she's been told - and she is still recovering from the terrible accident that caused it. But what happened before that? She's been given home movies chronicling her entire life, which spark memories to surface. But are the memories really hers? And why won't anyone in her family talk about the accident? Jenna is becoming more curious. But she is also afraid of what she might find out if she ever gets up the courage to ask her questions.

What happened to Jenna Fox? And who is she really?

This book was powerful, thrilling, and moving in many ways. I thought it would be some kind of loud, action-packed book. Instead, I was met by a calmer, but very intense story of life, death, and everything in between.

Jenna was such a unique character. She has no memory of her life before, and feels like a stranger to her body. As the story progresses, it’s interesting to see her adapt to her new life, and slowly gain back memories of her past.

The writing was very poetic. It was smooth and clean, flowing with the exciting storyline. I loved how we were in Jenna’s head, and how her thoughts are portrayed. It added another layer of depth to an already deep, moving story.

There were new surprises everywhere, and while I managed to guess a lot of twists, I still missed some. I definitely found myself on the edge of my seat quite frequently.

This book addresses some pretty complicated topics with care. How far is too far? If you have the power to save a life better left untouched, should you? These questions aren’t easily answered, and yet Mary E. Pearson does a beautiful job with it.

An eerie prediction of where I world could be in just a few short years, The Adoration of Jenna Fox is a deep, beautiful, and powerful story about discovering your identity and purpose.

stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...