Monday, September 3, 2012

Book Review: Glitch by Heather Anastasiu

10535458



In the Community, there is no more pain or war. Implanted computer chips have wiped humanity clean of destructive emotions, and thoughts are replaced by a feed from the Link network.
When Zoe starts to malfunction (or “glitch”), she suddenly begins having her own thoughts, feelings, and identity. Any anomalies must be immediately reported and repaired, but Zoe has a secret so dark it will mean certain deactivation if she is caught: her glitches have given her uncontrollable telekinetic powers.
As Zoe struggles to control her abilities and stay hidden, she meets other glitchers including Max, who can disguise his appearance, and Adrien, who has visions of the future. Both boys introduce Zoe to feelings that are entirely new. Together, this growing band of glitchers must find a way to free themselves from the controlling hands of the Community before they’re caught and deactivated, or worse.
In this action-packed debut, Glitch begins an exciting new young adult trilogy.
Glitch was an action-packed dystopian romance, and will definitely appeal to lots of fans, but it didn’t grab me the way that I’d hoped it would.
The world was very interesting, but reminded me so much of the world created by Elana Johnson in her Possession series. Leaders telling lies of the outside world, brain-washing and mind-controlling government, random teenagers developing “super” powers, and many other aspects were very similar. It was cool seeing these elements in a slightly different setting, but I soon grew tired of it.
I enjoyed many of the characters, but the one person I couldn’t stand was Max. From the very start I knew there was something weird about him. He was a “glitcher” obsessed with “the Passions”. He was the ultimate jerk, and tried to force Zoe into uncomfortable situations.
The plot was exciting, though confusing at times, but kept me reading. There were some pretty unexpected twists and turns that I almost didn’t spot ahead of time. I enjoyed the writing well enough; it wasn’t completely brilliant, but was still pretty crackin’ good.
This book was something I could definitely see being popular among many YA readers, it just wasn’t quite my cup of tea.
stars
I received an advance eGalley and was in no way compensated for this review

3 comments:

  1. [Max]was a “glitcher” obsessed with “the Passions”. He was the ultimate jerk, and tried to force Zoe into uncomfortable situations. Nice verbage, this really sums up what I thought about him too! I just wasn't able to find the words to explain my feelings like you just did. Nice work. I just hated this character!

    As for the story, it was an enjoyable read. I've not read the other books you mentioned, so it didn't seem cliche or overdone to me. It was fresh, exciting and new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Max wins the award for biggest weirdo in YA. I couldn't stand him. I think this just about sums up almost everyone's thoughts on him, at least based on the dozens of reviews I've read.

      I thought the story was alright, just not super original. I'm glad you enjoyed it, though!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed it, even if it didn't wow you! I really liked Max. Not that I'd want to hang out with him, but as a character. I found him interesting and sometimes awful, but I have a tendency to like the unlikeable characters. :P

    I'm a new follower!

    Angie @ Pinkindle Reads & Reviews

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...