Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Book Review: Legend by Marie Lu

9275658 

 

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.

Before I get into the story, can I just take a moment to say how cool the inside of this book looks? There are two narrators, who switch off narrating chapters. And each narrator has their own font and color! One is black, and one is gold (like, really dark so you can still read it, but gold nonetheless). I noticed this when I was flipping through it at the library, and that basically sealed it’s fate as a book I needed to own even if the story inside was terrible. Luckily, it wasn’t…

Legend maybe sounds like just another dystopian thriller that’s exactly like every other, but it’s was much more than that. It was a fantastic adventure with strong characters, unique prose, and an unforgettable plot.

June and Day were pretty awesome. They were not afraid to use their brains and they knew how to kick butt, but I also liked how we saw their softer sides. I love the fact that they’re loosely based on Val Jean and Javert from Les Miserables (which I’m obsessed with), and how that was reflected in their personalities.

This book was action packed and also full of smarts, which was really awesome. There was awesomeness on every page that kept you turning pages, and the butt-kicking, sexual tension, dangerous secrets, and excellent writing were just a bonus.

1 comment:

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...