Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday #9: Books That Make You Think

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the Broke and the Bookish
This weeks topic is…Top Ten Books That Make You Think
761377353336482837
10. Animal Farm by George Orwell
My mom read this aloud to my family when I was about 9, and I don’t even remember much of the plot. But I do remember how we got into lots of deep political discussions that definitely shaped my political views today.
9. Matched by Ally Condie
With a perfect society where nothing goes wrong, what are you supposed to do when it does? And what do you do when everything you’ve learned is a lie? I read this a long time ago and I still think about it all the time.
8. Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver
I really didn’t like this book, but It was certainly thought-provoking, and had a really good overall message.
8525590618635729994758235178
7. Wither by Lauren DeStefano
Wither explores what the world would be like it everyone died just as they reached adulthood. The concept is utterly terrifying, and as I was reading, I found myself desperately trying to solve the problem and save the world.
6. The Maze Runner by James Dashner
I don’t know what’s wrong with people who decide to lock a bunch of teenagers up in a maze full of horribleness, but they do. And it makes you wonder why, and what the world outside the maze is like that’s do much worse than inside.
5. Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
This was a sad, thoughtful book. It’s beautifully written and left me practically in tears.
4. Across the Universe by Beth Revis
Both this book and A Million Suns really make you think about what’s right and wrong, what’s going to far, and what you can do if there are no other options. That along with a thrilling plot and powerful writing make this a must-read.
6738968995613636
3. The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson
This book explores what the world could be like with medical advances capable of doing some unthinkable things—and just how far too far is.
2. Looking For Alaska by John Green
I must get around to reading everything by John Green because this book was so powerful and thought-provoking, exploring life and death and everything in between.
1. The Giver by Lois Lowry
Choices are powerful things, and who should be in charge of who makes those choices? This book does an excellent job exploring these questions.

What are some of your favorite thought-provoking books?

9 comments:

  1. Great list but again another list with looking for Alaska. Seems Im the only person that just thought this book was ok and kinda upset me with its ending.

    Check out our TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely had some mixed feelings about Alaska, but I still found it very thought-provoking.

      Delete
  2. Great choices! Animal Farm is such a great thought provoking book. There is so much in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there is! After reading just one chapter, we'd discuss it for several hours! I definitely need to get around to rereading it sometime.

      Delete
  3. Love your list. i had forgotten about Matched. I'm looking forward to reading some of the other books on your list x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Animal Farm when I was in High School and I thought about it and what it had to say for such a long time! I am glad to see it on someone list.

    Here's my Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great choices! I haven't read all of them, but most of them are on my TBR list. thanks for stopping by my top ten tuesday =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read anything on your list! I do plan to read Jellicoe Road soon, though. I have it checked out from the library. I've only read one John Green book (Paper Towns) and I really liked it. I am planning on reading The Fault in Our Stars next.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE that you included Across the Unvierse/A Million Suns. That one has definitely had me thinking in loops ever since I read them.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...