Friday, October 26, 2012

Book Review: The Amaranth Enchantment by Julie Berry

3843654 

 

A delightful fairytale by a lyrical new voice.

When Lucinda Chapdelaine was a small child, her parents left for the royal ball and never returned. Ever since, Lucinda has been stuck in perpetual servitude at her evil aunt’s jewelry store. Then, on the very same day, a mysterious visitor and an even more bizarre piece of jewelry both enter the shop, setting in motion a string of twists and turns that will forever alter Lucinda’s path.

In this magical story filled with delightful surprises, Lucinda will dance at the royal ball, fall under the Amaranth Witch’s spell, avenge her parents’ death, and maybe—just maybe—capture the heart of a prince.

This book was utterly delightful! A light-hearted fairy tale beginning on a similar path of the classic Cinderella story, but taking a turn somewhere along the lines, and ending with a fairy tale ending completely it’s own. In fact, if I hadn’t known beforehand that it was an interpretation of Cinderella, I doubt I would’ve picked up the subtle hints.

I loved all the characters so much, but especially Peter. He reminded me of Sage from the False Prince so much, it not even funny (if you’ve read it, then you know exactly what I’m talking about). He was sly and smooth, plus goofy every once in a while. He was just great!

The story wasn’t overly complicated, but still had a couple surprises up it’s sleeve! It flowed freely and smoothly, and went by just fast enough to keep the readers attention without skipping over detail.

I’d highly recommend this book to fans of Jessica Day George and Gail Carson Levine. The writing, characters, and plot structure are both very similar, and yet clearly distinct from one another. Or if you’re just craving some yummy fairy tales, you need to try this one out.

Language: None
Sensuality: Very Mild (a very sweet, light fairytale romance that doesn’t involve any more than a small kiss or two)
Violence: Mild (No serious violence that I recall, but probably a few fights and chases )

Recommended age: 11+

stars

1 comment:

  1. I love Sage. This one sounds like a great one! I also love Jessica Day George.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...