Sunday, October 28, 2012

Book Review: Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

6357708 

 

Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris--the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.

Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts ferociously alongside her. But even as more girls' bodies pile up in the city and the Fenris seem to be gaining power, Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves. She finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax and Scarlett's only friend--but does loving him mean betraying her sister and all that they've worked for?

Oh. My. Goodness. This book was so flipping fantastic! I don’t think I have words that can adequately describe my feeling!

I think my favorite part of Sisters Red was seeing how the sisters interacted with each other. There aren’t many sibling duos out there is YA lit, and those I have found seemed to despise each other, so I was happy to find some sisters who actually kind of got along (most of the time) and worked together. It was also interesting to have the dual narrations, and seeing how one sister would perceive the other, and vise versa.

Even those who don’t like paranormal (like me) will be blown away by the plot. It was fast-paced, full of surprises, and hinted at it’s Red Riding Hood roots, while being very much it’s own story. Some parts were a tad predictable, but so mind-blowing I didn’t care.

The history behind the Fenris was fascinating, and it was interesting seeing which parts were influenced by mythology and what was solely the author’s imagination. Without giving too much away, I want to say that I think that the way the one becomes a Fenris was genius, and it was so cool seeing how they went about solving that mystery.

The writing was just…wow. So deliciously wonderful I can’t even come up with the right words. I couldn’t get enough of it! Luckily, she has more books. I can’t wait for more from Jackson Pearce!

Language: Moderate (Multiple d*** g** etc… (if there were “badder” words, I quickly forgot them) )
Sensuality: Moderate (Rosie has a difficult relationship with Silas. Rosie takes an art class which includes a nude male model. )
Violence: Heavy (Well, they’re werewolf hunters. What do you expect? Lots of blood and gore. Scarlett’s eye was ripped out as a child. Rosie is frequently used as bait for the Fenris. Lots of especially violent stuff near the end. )

Recommended age: 15+

2 comments:

  1. I loved this book, but I found Sweetly even better! :) I totally can't wait to read Fathomless. Her writing style is flawless. The history was fascinating indeed and I liked the two sisters and their relationship :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard Sweetly was even better. I'm dying to read it! And I just heard that she has a retelling of The Snow Queen coming up, so I better catch up on her books! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...