Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Book Review: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

7896527 

 

 

When magic has gone from the world, and a vicious king rules from his throne of glass, an assassin comes to the castle. She does not come to kill, but to win her freedom. If she can defeat twenty-three killers, thieves, and warriors in a competition to find the greatest assassin in the land, she will become the King’s Champion and be released from prison.

Her name is Celaena Sardothien.

The Crown Prince will provoke her. The Captain of the Guard will protect her.

And a princess from a foreign land will become the one thing Celaena never thought she’d have again: a friend.

But something evil dwells in the castle–and it’s there to kill. When her competitors start dying, horribly, one by one, Celaena’s fight for freedom becomes a fight for survival–and a desperate quest to root out the source of evil before it destroys her world.

This has gotten lots of mixed reviews, but I’m happy to say that I thoroughly enjoyed Throne of Glass. While it wasn’t the most original addition to the world of high fantasy I’ve ever seen, it was still a thoroughly exciting story that I highly recommend!

Celaena was an epic character! She was a prissy girly girl, but also knew how to kick some butt! She liked talking about dresses and shoes, then trying to solve the mystery of who’s been assassinating all the assassins (and maybe even did some assassinating herself!)

There was a fair amount of mystery and suspense to the story. I kept trying to guess what would happen next, and I found myself completely shocked most of the time (though that may have to do with the fact that it was the middle of the night and I couldn’t think very straight…) There was a good balance between serious, suspenseful stuff, and the fluffy fairytale goodness.

And speaking of fairytales… it was interesting to see how Cinderella wound it’s way into Celaena’s tale. The “Cinderella went to the ball to assassinate the prince” pitch is what initially sold me on this story, and made it enjoyable trying to spot the little fairytale Easter eggs hidden in the smallest nooks and crannies.

While Throne of Glass isn’t perfect, it’s still pretty awesome and will definitely find a place for itself among fans of adventure, fantasy, and assassins!

stars

I received an advance eGalley in exchange for an honest review and was not compensated for this review

4 comments:

  1. I actually think I've only seem positive reviews of this. And I had no idea there were fairytale elements. Thanks for the review! I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review :) On your profile it says you're obsessed with fairytales - have you read Reckless by Cornelia Funke??? It's got loads of fairytales involved :P I reviewed it on my blog if you want to see it...
    Ruby - http://feedmebooksnow.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have to review this, ack I'm so behind! I'm glad you liked it. I liked it a lot as well but I felt that Calaena could have done a lot more killing and a little less swooning.

    Great review Deb, new follower!

    Amber Elise @ Du Livre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so behind, too! I finished this book the day it released two months ago! I think I have about 8 to go... I think I would've liked to see a bit more killing, too, but I still liked Celaena's overall character.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...