Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Wishing on Wednesday #6: Les Miserables by Victor Hugo


Inspired by “Waiting on” Wednesday hosted by Breaking the Spine and Wishlist Wednesday hosted by Pen to Paper
Wishing on Wednesday is a weekly meme to feature recent and upcoming releases that I’m wishing for!
 
lesmis

Now a major motion picure, adapted from the acclaimed Broadway musical, starring Anne Hathaway, Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Amanda Seyfried, and Sacha Baron Cohen

Victor Hugo’s tale of injustice, heroism and love follows the fortunes of Jean Valjean, an escaped convict determined to put his criminal past behind him. But his attempts to become a respected member of the community are constantly put under threat: by his own conscience, when, owing to a case of mistaken identity, another man is arrested in his place; and by the relentless investigations of the dogged policeman Javert. It is not simply for himself that Valjean must stay free, however, for he has sworn to protect the baby daughter of Fantine, driven to prostitution by poverty. A compelling and compassionate view of the victims of early nineteenth-century French society, Les Misérables is a novel on an epic scale, moving inexorably from the eve of the battle of Waterloo to the July Revolution of 1830.

Why I Want It:

You’re probably going “Huh, Debz? Did you miss the memo? This book came out in 1862!” And you’re right! But I’ve wanted to read this for years, yet have never been able to find the right edition anywhere.

When I was six-years old I was introduced to the musical, and I’ve finally reached a point where I’m ready to read the 1232 page novel before the movie comes out. The only problem is that I struggle reading small text, but I want it unabridged. Plus, I’m a cover freak, so I don’t want an ugly cover.

Today I was clicking around on Amazon and found exactly what I need. It’s the movie tie-in edition, with the movie poster for it’s cover. It’s just a regular paperback, not mass market, meaning the pages and text will be regular-sized. And, most importantly, it’s UNABRIDGED!!! Here’s hoping it’ll show up in time for me to read it before Christmas.

Coming to a bookstore near you… December 4th, 2012 from Penguin Books

And now I’ll leave you with the most beautiful movie trailer in existence.

What are you Wishing for this Wednesday?

6 comments:

  1. I loved reading the unabridged edition! It gets slow sometimes with his political tangents, but the background on all the characters is amazing. Can't wait for the movie either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen the movie trailer and it looks epic. I think I'll be watching the movie though instead of reading the book :-)

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mass market classics are the worst. Nothing makes you feel as if you are getting nowhere like tiny text. :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was lucky that my library had this book in 4-parts edition. Big letters and easy to hold books.
    This book is long but definitely worth the read. Just... so much feeling flow trough these pages... I feel sad & happy for characters just thinking about it...
    Awesome pick!

    Dragana @ Bookworm Dreams
    Check out what I am waiting for this Wednesday...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never read this book, but I am dying to see the movie.

    I really like your social media icons and your block quote. Did you do the html for them yourself? I am trying my hand at some design stuff for a new template for my blog. If you have any codes or tips, and you could email me it would be so super amazing! (if not, don't worry about it, I totally understand if you are too busy) :)

    chelle2006@aol.com

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...