Sunday, December 9, 2012

Book Review: Princess of the Silver Woods by Jessica Day George

  Princess of the Silver Woods (Princess, #3)


 

When Petunia, the youngest of King Gregor's twelve dancing daughters, is invited to visit an elderly friend in the neighboring country of Westfalin, she welcomes the change of scenery. But in order to reach Westfalin, Petunia must pass through a forest where strange two-legged wolves are rumored to exist. Wolves intent on redistributing the wealth of the noble citizens who have entered their territory. But the bandit-wolves prove more rakishly handsome than truly dangerous, and it's not until Petunia reaches her destination that she realizes the kindly grandmother she has been summoned to visit is really an enemy bent on restoring an age-old curse.

The stories of Red Riding Hood and Robin Hood get a twist as Petunia and her many sisters take on bandits, grannies, and the new King Under Stone to end their family curse once and for all.

This was a wonderful close to a beautiful series of fairy tales. Jessica Day George is one of my favorite authors, and has never failed to impress me with her magic!

Princess of the Silver Woods, while my least favorite of the series, still managed to win me over and earn a solid 5-star rating. It took elements of familiar tales and subtly tied them into the plot. It was interesting seeing how in each book, the fairy tale elements are approached differently. In Princess of the Midnight Ball, we see the curse of the 12 Dancing Princesses from an inside viewpoint, while in Princess of Glass we’re seeing the story unfold from the outside. Now, in Princess of the Silver Woods, it’s not as direct of a retelling, so you need to search deeper to see the underlying fairy tale.

The characters, both old and new, were very memorable. The sisters relationships were very sweet. They each had their own struggles, but together they were strong enough to overcome their problems. Family relationships are practically nonexistent in YA, so it was nice to see such a strong family unit.

Out of all of Jessica’s books, these are the ones I recommend the most! They are absolutely magical, with brand new takes on familiar tales. They are excellently written, with a little sprinkle of mystery and romance that will make your hearts melt.

I received an advance eGalley in exchange for an honest review

1 comment:

  1. I loved the other books in this series and can't wait to read this one. The whole werewolf thing with red riding hood sounds awesome! Great review.
    Clean Teen Fiction
    Clean Adult Fiction

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...