Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Book Review: Reached by Ally Condie

Reached (Matched, #3)

 


 

After leaving Society and desperately searching for the Rising—and each other—Cassia and Ky have found what they were looking for, but at the cost of losing each other yet again: Cassia has been assigned to work for the Rising from within Society, while Ky has been stationed outside its borders. But nothing is as predicted, and all too soon the veil lifts and things shift once again.

In this gripping conclusion to the #1 New York Times-bestselling Matched trilogy, Cassia will reconcile the difficulties of challenging a life too confining, seeking a freedom she never dreamed possible, and honoring a love she cannot live without.

I don't know if I can ever read another book again after what I just went through. What have you done to me, Ally Condie??? After finishing this book shortly after midnight I lay in bed for hours thinking and thinking and thinking. Because that’s what Ally Condie’s series has done: it has made it’s readers think, and think hard. It’s complicated, with no clear right and wrong answers. And that’s something that has made it one of the best series out there.

I could've finished this in mere hours, but instead I chose to savor each and every word. It’s very likely that this book presented prose more beautiful than that of either Matched or Crossed. It was rich and decadent. It was just gorgeous. I would’ve definitely included multiple examples if it weren’t for the fact that all my favorite quotes included major spoilers.

I think that the three separate narratives were excellently handled. In Crossed, Cassia and Ky’s voices tended to meld together, but with Reached, I felt that each of the narrators had a distinct voice. Now, maybe it’s just because I’m in love with him, or maybe because we’re unfamiliar with the workings of his brain, but I found Xander’s perspective was the most interesting of the three.

Now… the love triangle. Love is a tricky thing. I know with most love triangles you usually find yourself rooting for one guy over the other, but this series is one where I thought both would be wonderful choices for Cassia. While I know I feel Xander is the best choice, I think Ky is a worthy contender for her heart.

For the longest time I was hoping there'd be some kind of loophole where Cassia wouldn't have to choose, but then I realized that that's the reason we were in this mess in the first place: the Society had already chosen a Match for her. This was Cassia's decision alone. Luckily things worked out better than I could've hoped for, and everyone is satisfied by the end.

Surprisingly, I didn't cry at the end. Sure, I cried plenty in the middle, but as we approached the end, I felt what I can only describe as peaceful resolution. I wasn’t frustrated like I was with Mockingjay. I felt that things had ended on the perfect note. It was a solid, resolute ending, but with things left open enough that we can see hope and the reader is left to decide what happens next.

Ally Condie deserves a standing ovation for her brilliance.

1 comment:

  1. I just began Reached last night. You are right - it is beautiful. I can't wait to finish it. Excellent review.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...