Saturday, December 1, 2012

Series Re-Review: Matched & Crossed by Ally Condie

 

Matched (Matched, #1)Crossed (Matched, #2)
 

Breaking free from its pristine confines, Cassia embarks on an epic journey to protect the power of choice and the meaning of true love. An international bestseller, the Matched trilogy is a story for right now and storytelling with the resonance of a classic.

I know I’ve reviewed the first two books in the series, but quite frankly, those reviews were horrible (actually, I really like my Matched review, but my writing style was so completely different back then. My Crossed review is junk, though. Don’t read it.) I just want to make this re-review sweet and to the point. My goal is to convince you to go and read the best YA dystopia out there.

In just the first chapter of Matched there are two things you notice. First is the writing. Right from the start Ally Condie already has a strong voice telling the story. Her writing is poetic and powerful. That’s something I think we don’t see enough of in YA dystopia. There are plenty of well-written books out there, but few are able to tell such a thought-provoking story with as much finesse as Ally Condie.

Second is the Society. Ally Condie’s world-building is top-notch. The way everything works in the Society is too perfect. From the very start you can feel it’s presence, almost like it’s pressing in on you. But it’s not overwhelming. The reader is given just enough information to understand what’s going on while still left thirsting for more. And in Crossed, when the main characters venture outside the Society, they still haven’t left completely. The Society is always there, with more secrets than ever.

One thing I really appreciate about this series is the love triangle, believe it or not. Both Ky and Xander are amazing choices that would be hard for anyone to choose between. And unlike in certain books, the boys aren’t fighting over her; they respect her enough to let her make up her own mind, something she’s never had the chance to do before within the Society.

And as you finish the last pages of each book, you are left waiting with baited breath for the next one. And now, finally, the wait is over.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited for Reached (getting it for Chrimstas:)! I love this series and I agree with all your points. The writing is beautiful and the world building excellent. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...