Thursday, January 10, 2013

Book Review: Don’t Expect Magic by Kathy McCullough

  Don't Expect Magic (Magic, #1)

Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Release Date: November 8th, 2011
Genre: Fantastical Contemporary
Source: Purchased
Challenge(s): 2012 Fairy Tales Retold

Delaney Collins doesn't believe in fairy tales. And why should she? Her mom is dead, her best friend is across the country, and she's stuck in California with "Dr. Hank," her famous life-coach father—a man she barely knows. Happily ever after? Yeah, right.

Then Dr. Hank tells her an outrageous secret: he's a fairy godmother—an f.g.—and he can prove it. And by the way? The f.g. gene is hereditary. Meaning there's a good chance that New Jersey tough girl Delaney is someone's fairy godmother.

But what happens when a fairy godmother needs a wish of her own?

As I started this book the first thought that came to mind was "this seems like a Janette Rallison kind of book". It had the same quirky, magical humorous that I love. Luckily it was present throughout, which made for a highly enjoyable read.

I had mixed feelings about Delaney. She started out as this tough, stubborn tom-boy, but by the end her personality had done a 180 (for the better, but still), and I had to do a double take and make sure it was the same Delaney from the beginning. I’m kind of a goody two-shoes kind of person, but I was growing to like the stubborn, irritating Delaney. I guess becoming a fairy godmother changes a person.

I enjoyed seeing Delaney practice her fairy-godmother skills on her friends, especially the match-making parts. And seeing the science behind the magic was interesting.

And now I feel like this is a really pathetic review, but I read it a full 3 months ago, so I can’t recall much more… Fun book!

I really like the cover, though just from looking at it you wouldn’t be able to tell much about the actual story. But after reading the book you’ll be able to notice the subtle details that were included in the cover.

My Fair Godmother (My Fair Godmother, #1)Of Poseidon (Of Poseidon, #1)Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1)Just One WishMy Very UnFairy Tale Life

Mild language and sexual content: (Multiple instances of swearing, Crude humor, match-making (which is more hilarious than sexy), and one main character is revealed to be homosexual near the end, which isn’t bad, but something to look out for)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I always love stubborn characters. They always remind me a bit of me, to be honest. I can be quite stubborn :p This sounds like a very fun book and I think I will try it out when I get the chance! :)

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...