Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Book Review: Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

  Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2)

Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Release Date: February 5th, 2013
Genre: Dystopia/Fairy Tale Retelling
Source: Arc from Publisher
Challenge(s): 2012 Fairy Tales Retold

Cinder returns in the second thrilling installment of the New York Times-bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She’s trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she’ll be the Commonwealth’s most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn’t know about her grandmother and the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother’s whereabouts, she has no choice but to trust him, though he clearly has a few dark secrets of his own.

As Scarlet and Wolf work to unravel one mystery, they find another when they cross paths with Cinder. Together, they must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen who will do anything to make Prince Kai her husband, her king, her prisoner.

Have you ever read a book and thought "There's no way the sequel can measure up"? I know I have! It was called Cinder. Cinder was filled with memorable characters, a unique setting, a thrilling plot, outstanding writing, and a cliffhanger ending like no other. Easily the best book I've ever read. That is, until Scarlet.

Scarlet had all that awesome stuff, but it also had the magic that came from introducing a completely new plot to the already remaining plot from the first book. A new set of characters and their problems becoming entwined in those of the first books characters, and as you continue reading you begin to make connections between the two and by the end you're positive you've solved everything. And then you're wrong and completely in awe of Marissa Meyer for being such a genius.

I love the new setting. While the cast of Cinder (for the most part) remains in New Beijing, Scarlet resides in the French countryside, and travels throughout France as the story progresses. As someone who's experienced the magic and charm of France, it was great to revisit it with some of my favorite characters.

The new characters were amazing. Scarlet was even more of a kick-butt heroine that Cinder ever was. She was feisty and occasionally stubborn, but she was strong and clever. And Wolf. I could never quite figure out which side he was on, and even now I'm not quite sure I remember which side he was on by the end because the climax was so exciting I kept turning pages faster than I could probably absorb all the information. Anyway... Wolf was obviously a complex character, and he had both great tension and chemistry with Scarlet.

If you haven't had the pleasure of experiencing Cinder yet, you should get on that! Or if you have read Cinder, whether or not you fell in love with it, I strongly recommend you pre-order Scarlet, because I have a feeling you won't be disappointed.

I think this cover is amazing, and I love that it matches Cinder so well. My only complaint is that in the book, she actually wears a hoodie, and not a dramatic, flowing cape. Nonetheless, beautiful!

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1)Legend (Legend, #1)Sisters Red (Fairytale Retellings, #1)Incarnate (Newsoul, #1)

Very Mild Sexual Content: (A couple kisses and some awkward flirting)

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you thought this was even better than Cinder. I am dying to read it! I was convinced forever it was being released in January, and I was devastated when I realized it was February.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah you're making me so excited to read it!!! Wish I didn't have to wait. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! This one was even better than Cinder, which is mind blowing, but oh so exciting for the series as a whole. I'm torn between dying for the next two books and being sad that it's already half over!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...