Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Book Review: Splintered by A. G. Howard

Splintered

 

Publisher: Amulet Books
Release Date: January 1st 2013
Genre: Urban Fantasy/Retelling
Source: eGalley via publisher & NetGalley
Challenge(s): 2012 Fairy Tales Retold

This stunning debut captures the grotesque madness of a mystical under-land, as well as a girl’s pangs of first love and independence. Alyssa Gardner hears the whispers of bugs and flowers—precisely the affliction that landed her mother in a mental hospital years before. This family curse stretches back to her ancestor Alice Liddell, the real-life inspiration for Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Alyssa might be crazy, but she manages to keep it together. For now.

When her mother’s mental health takes a turn for the worse, Alyssa learns that what she thought was fiction is based in terrifying reality. The real Wonderland is a place far darker and more twisted than Lewis Carroll ever let on. There, Alyssa must pass a series of tests, including draining an ocean of Alice’s tears, waking the slumbering tea party, and subduing a vicious bandersnatch, to fix Alice’s mistakes and save her family. She must also decide whom to trust: Jeb, her gorgeous best friend and secret crush, or the sexy but suspicious Morpheus, her guide through Wonderland, who may have dark motives of his own.

This book was utterly brilliant and grotesquely delicious. A. G. Howard took the enchanting Wonderland we grew up with and turned it into a beautiful yet disturbing land that goes beyond your wildest dreams (and nightmares). Alyssa goes on a series of quests that take us back to the most memorable moments of her ancestors original journey, which may not have been as pretty as Carrol depicted it.

The writing was wonderful. It enveloped me into the twisted world, with amazing descriptions and strong characters. There would be passages I would just want to read over and over again, which happens very rarely for me.

One element that had me kind of confused for the majority of the book was the love triangle. In my opinion, it was very obvious early on that Alice would fall for Jeb, the boy next door who’s always been her best friend, so where she started having feelings towards Morpheus, the sexy creeper from Wonderland, I wasn’t very happy. But in the end I was satisfied with how all three ended up.

For those of you who think you know Wonderland, you’ve never seen Wonderland like this. It truly does capture the “grotesque madness” in a whole new light, which will leave your mind racing.

I think we can all agree that this cover is gorgeous. I love the bugs and vines surrounding her face, and the green tinge of her skin and hair. I also like the bright red loopy title. Everything together does a great job reflecting the madness.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-GlassThe Iron King (The Iron Fey, #1)The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (Fairyland, #1)


Minor Sexual Content: Several Passionate Kisses. Talk of certain characters sleeping together (which never actually happens).

stars_thumb[2]stars_thumb[2]stars_thumb[2]stars_thumb[2]stars_thumb[2]

8 comments:

  1. You had me from "utterly brilliant and grotesquely delicious". I must read this book!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes, the love triangle. That's what I hate about them, that you always know who the heroine is going to end up with although it's a "love triangle."

    Despite that,though,this book looks really good. I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to finally read my ARC of this one. Glad you enjoyed it and great review :)
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhhhh, every time I read a review like this, I want to run to the story to get a copy (which is impossible because A. it's almost midnight here and B. we don't have these books in our stupid stores :p.) I'm definitely going to order my copy as soon as possible, because I need this! Alice in Wonderland retelling with a dark twist, I love it already.

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely enjoyed the use of the phrase "sexy creeper" in this review! Hilarious. I don't like obvious love "triangles" either, but I have been interested in this book. Wonderland has so much potential.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this seems like a great book. I'm definitely putting it on my TBR.

    I saw that you started The Fault in Our Stars yesterday. I hope you love it as much as I did. Can't wait for your review.

    Pica @ Pica Reads

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am SO excited to read this book. I rarely buy books I haven't read, but I'd been hearing SO many good things about this, and the premise is just so amazing. Honestly, I think I might buy any book with a cover that gorgeous though. :) Can't wait to start this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! I love Alice in Wonderland and I loved this book. Wait till you read Unhinged. <3

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...