Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday #19: Settings to Look For!

A weekly meme hosted by the Broke and the Bookish

This weeks topic is settings I want to see more of in books!

10. Under the Sea

That’s right… I want more mermaid books! I’ve only ever read Of Poseidon, but it was fabulous and made me crave some more mermaid action!

9. Homeschool stories

We Homeschoolers are completely underrated! People assume our lives are boring, but I’ve been to 14 different countries, and have to deal with a bunch of crazy drama everyday. Plus I’m just getting sick of high school contemporary drama.

8. Enchanted Forests

I haven’t read a good story taking place in an enchanted forest in an extremely long time, and that’s disappointing because there’s so much potential there!

7. Dystopian society where citizens AREN’T brainwashed!

I feel like I’ve been surrounded by an overabundance of brainwashed societies as of late. I don’t mind evil dictators spreading lies around, but when you’re implanting technology into someone’s brain so that it no longer functions, you need some originality!

6. Europe

As I said above, I’ve been to 14 different countries, and 10 of those were in Europe. And there’s nothing I love more than having a character visit a city I’ve been to!

5. The near future

We’ve seen TONS of stuff that takes place a thousand years from now, but not much that takes place maybe one hundred years into the future, which is kind of surprising because looking at how fast our society has evolved in just the past 30 years, I can’t even begin to imagine the advances that could be made in the next few years!

4. American Historical Fiction

I think historical fiction has been catching on a lot recently, but I’d like to see more that takes place in America, since there’s so much amazing history here!

3. Travel to a Magical Land

This theme seems to be more popular in Middle Grade, but I’d love to see it more in YA. I love experiencing a new world for the first time along with the main character.

2. Castles!

I love castles so much! I don’t really care about the outside world as long as there’s a castle! So many beautiful descriptions that usually hide deep, dark secrets (:

1. Futuristic Fairy Tales

This is kind of a weird one, but I’d love to see more! Cinder is a prime example of a futuristic fairy tale, and with it’s success I wouldn’t be surprised to see a few more of these futuristic fairy tales popping up!

9 comments:

  1. Great list. Under the sea was particularly imaginative. I enjoy a well used setting in a book. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enchanted forest, Under the Sea, Futuristic fairy tales, castles, you have a great list there! :)

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good list, I'd love to read some futuristic fairytales and stories that take place under the sea as well. I also love stories set in castles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh do not think that futuristic fairy tales is a weird choice. It is an awesome choice. I am so glad I wasn't the only one who used it. I love this list. Mine is here

    Deidra @ Simply Books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Castles and magical forests! I love when books have those settings.

    I loved the book Cinder, but I'm not generally into futuristic settings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this list!
    Futuristic Fairy Tales - YES! Most end up being historical or contemporary, but I would love to see more set in the future.
    Enchanted Forests - YES, yes, yes!!! The only one I can really think of right now is The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede. Love to see more of these!
    Homeschool stories - REPRESENT! I was home schooled my whole life (well, except for college, obviously). And while that was a good 8 years ago, I'd LOVE to read some stories with this setting. While I love reading books about kids in public school (such a strange and foreign land), I'd love to be able to identify a bit more with the school setting.
    Great list Debz!

    ReplyDelete
  7. More homeschool stories, what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love, love, love your list!

    Homeschooled stories are definitely lacking. I've read two great books about homeschooled kids: "Ida B. . . and Her Plans to Maximize Fun, Avoid Disaster, and (Possibly) Save the World" by Katherine Hannigan (which is super good, and made me cry!) And also Schooled by Gordon Korman (which is a great, feel-good story) Though both books are about kids transitioning from homeschool to public because of sick/injured caregivers.

    I'd love more enchanted forest stories too! As well as futuristic fairy tales! Though I don't know if anyone can beat Marissa Meyer in that department!

    And I put American Historical Fiction on my list too! I want some stories set during the American Revolution and in the Wild West!
    Lauren @ Hughes Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  9. Homeschoolers for the win! I hate how few books there are about them, or even worse, when they ARE in books, but are represented as boring and socially awkward.

    A series you might like... The Emily Windsnap series, by Liz Kessler. It combines Underwater/Mermaids and castles.

    Great list, though! I completely agree!

    ~Lynette @ Escaping Reality – One Book at a Time

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...