Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday #20: Favorite Bookish Memories

A weekly meme hosted by the Broke and the Bookish

This weeks topic is favorite bookish memories!  

HUNGER GAMES, THE7735333179064

10. Hunger Games Movie

Leading up to the movie I reread the book, and then I had a big party with my friends to celebrate the release.

9. Hunger Games Books

Speaking of which, reading the Hunger Games books was an experience like no other. I read the first book, waited 10 months, then read the last 2 books in under 24 hours. And I cried through the end of Mockingjay.

8. Matched Audiobook

This is kind of a weird one to include, but Matched was my first exposure (other than HG) to dystopia. The audiobook I randomly grabbed in the library turned out to be an excellent narration of an outstanding story that changed the way I think about everything

7. Shannon Hale’s books

Shannon Hale has changed my life. Period. Her books just have this amazing essence (if that makes sense). They are indescribably magical.

830676110401084118700851218024812988100

6. Multi-Author Signing

I can’t believe I never blogged about it! Some time last year I went to a signing featuring four awesome authors: Elizabeth Scott, Brigid Kemmerer, Alethea Kontis, and Diana Peterfreund. I just happened to be in the area and persuaded certain pesky adult figures to let me go (though they ended up bring all 7 of their children into the small bookshop). It was lots of fun, and they were all so nice.

5. The Fault in Our Stars

I just read this one last month, and I can honestly say that’s the most I’ve ever cried at once. More than when I saw Les Miserables, or even when my grandpa died (sorry, Grandpa!) And I still get kind of emotional when I think about it because it’s just that amazing.

31136251

4. Harry Potter

I think I was maybe 5 or 6 when I was introduced to Harry Potter. And ever since then I’ve been a geek. Enough of a geek that the rest of this post will be entirely devoted the Harry Potter.

3. Book #7 Release

I was living in Germany at the time. Since I wasn’t planning on reading it in German, I went to the tiny bookshop on the tiny military base with my family to wait. We got there sometime in the early afternoon, and enjoyed the (pathetic) festivities going on. We finally gave up and walked across the street to the tiny theater to watch the 5th movie which had just come out. When it was over we walked back across the street to the tiny food court where we waited. Then we walked next door to the bookshop again and wait. And waited. And waited. And then finally around 11:30 people were lining up. The line went out the door and all the way back to the theater. We were smart and got in line early. At Midnight, we got our two copies of the book, and on the drive home we started reading. And the best part is we got it 8 hours earlier than everyone in America!

2. Book #6 Release

My mom had heard about a big…thing going on the celebrate the release. It was set up like Diagon Alley, and there was Quidditch and Wizard’s Chess and all sorts of things. Everyone was in costume. There were different shops set up. All that cool stuff. And she decided to bring 4 young children and her mother along to it. So we spent the day there, and even ran into Hagrid, Rita Skeeter, and Gilderoy Lockhart (and like, 3,000 Harry’s, Ron’s, and Hermione’s). But as midnight approached, we drove off to Walmart to pick up a copy (or two) of the book. And then we went to our hotel and stayed up until 3 reading. And we read nonstop for a week until we finished.

1. Meeting Jim Dale

Just a few weeks following the release of Half Blood Prince we found ourselves at a bookstore where Jim Dale was speaking and signing. It was filled to the brim, but it was worth it. Instead of rereading the books, I frequently listened to the audiobooks again and again, so I could recognize his voice anywhere. It was kind of surreal to hear him talking to me! But amazing. And we have 2 books, an audiobook, and a handmade wand we picked up at that Harry Potter festival thingy all signed by Jim Dale! 

3 comments:

  1. You met Jim Dale???? Oh my gosh that is SO amazing! You have no idea how jealous I am right now. :)

    ~Lynette @ Escaping Reality – One Book at a Time

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've met JIM DALE!!!!!!????? SO JEALOUS!! I'm also jealous that you've met Alethea Kontis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that Shannon Hale's books are AMAZING. I can't believe I haven't read Palace of Stone yet! I'm going to savor it when I do!

    And that is sooooo cool you met Jim Dale! I love the audio books! We listened to them on the 10+ hour drive to Disney World, and even when we arrived at the theme parks, we wouldn't get out of the car until we had finished a chapter. So good! I bet it was weird to hear his voice talking to you!

    Great list!
    Lauren @ Hughes Reviews

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...