Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Book Review: Insurgent by Veronica Roth

11735983

 

Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: May 1st 2012
Genre: YA Dystopia
Source: Library
Challenge(s): Dystopia, Sequels

One choice can transform you--or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable--and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.

"New York Times" bestselling author Veronica Roth's much-anticipated second book of the dystopian "Divergent" series is another intoxicating thrill ride of a story, rich with hallmark twists, heartbreaks, romance, and powerful insights about human nature.

Everyone and their mother has read Divergent (my friend’s mom is actually the one who introduced me to Divergent!) It’s “The Next Hunger Games”, #1 New York Times Bestselling, 2014 Hollywood blockbuster movie kind of book. And while it certainly lives up to it’s hype, it’s sequel didn’t quite reach the high expectations I had.

I’m not going to go over the plot because A: the synopsis is only three inches above this paragraph, B: Every other person and their mother has already read it, and C: I don’t remember most of it. I still have the general gist of the plot stuck in my head, but the thing it, not much happened. I don’t mind slow-paced books, but this was more of a slow-paced-ish-and-nothing’s-really-going-on-until-the-very-rushed-end kind of book. Things slowly build while the characters sit around, and then all of a sudden everyone’s running around and dying and top secret info is out in the open, and then it all ends.

And besides the plot, I wasn’t a big fan of Tris. In the first book she grows into such a strong, admirable character, but at the start of Insurgent it’s like nothing happened to her! She flat and weak and nothing like the Tris I remembered. I did enjoy all the secondary characters, though. Especially Four…

Four and Tris had good chemistry, and their romance has definitely become stronger since Divergent, which I liked. If Tris had stayed the same as she was in Divergent, they would’ve made an excellent couple! As it is, Four was able to make up for Tris’s shortcomings with his swoonworthyness (which is now a word).

I will compliment Veronica Roth’s writing, though. It was absolutely excellent, and a vast improvement from her already amazing writing in Divergent. Despite suffering from “Sequel Syndrome”, I’m still excited to see how she wraps up this epic series!

coverthoughtsI like how it compliments the cover of Divergent, though I felt that Candor played a larger role in the story than Amity. Nevertheless, really cool!recommendations

HUNGER GAMES, THE77353339275658

sortamessySeveral Make-out scenes and Semi-Graphic Violence

1 comment:

  1. I liked Insurgent better than you did, I think, but I agree with you that it's not as good as the first! I'm still eager to read the third, though.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...