Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Book Review: The Runaway King by Jennifer A. Nielsen

15703770

 

Publisher: Scholastic Press
Release Date: March 1st 2013
Genre: High Fantasy MG/YA
Source: ARC via Publisher
Challenge(s): Sequels

A kingdom teetering on the brink of destruction. A king gone missing. Who will survive? Find out in the highly anticipated sequel to Jennifer A. Nielsen's blockbuster THE FALSE PRINCE!

Just weeks after Jaron has taken the throne, an assassination attempt forces him into a deadly situation. Rumors of a coming war are winding their way between the castle walls, and Jaron feels the pressure quietly mounting within Carthya. Soon, it becomes clear that deserting the kingdom may be his only hope of saving it. But the further Jaron is forced to run from his identity, the more he wonders if it is possible to go too far. Will he ever be able to return home again? Or will he have to sacrifice his own life in order to save his kingdom?

The stunning second installment of The Ascendance Trilogy takes readers on a roller-coaster ride of treason and murder, thrills and peril, as they journey with the Runaway King!

I had feelings for The False Prince that I’d never had before with a book. It holds a special place in my heart. After finishing it, I knew I could die happy. It ended on the perfect note, with just enough left open for the reader to imagine what could happen next. But then I found out about a sequel, and I was not happy. There was no way there could be a follow-up to such perfection that wouldn’t fall flat.

I should not have doubted.

The Runaway King was even better than The False Prince. Sage is back and better than ever. He’s stubborn and cocky and daring. He’s got big, king-sized shoes to fill and a bunch of old guys telling him what to do. Luckily he’s not one to blindly obey, and takes matters into his own hands, resulting in an unforgettable adventure!

Sage has such a distinct voice. Often, the voices in so many of the great books I’ve read tend to blend together in my mind after a while. But not Sage’s. His personality shines through and makes for a memorable experience.

One thing I was excited about going into things was the prospect of the budding romance between Sage and Imogen finally blossoming. While things didn’t go quite the way I’d hoped, we still got to see Imogen, who’s a lot stronger than she initially appears. Their interactions were some of my absolute favorite parts.

The Runaway King has a darker, more mature tone than its predecessor, and that definitely contributed to my overall enjoyment. The country is on the brink of war, the stakes are even higher, and there are Pirate Assassins! This is one I will not soon forget, and will be endlessly recommending to readers of all shapes and sizes.

coverthoughts
Simple, powerful, and screams high fantasy! An excellent companion to The False Prince!recommendations

12432220324337104290923843654

squeakyclean

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it, even more than The False Prince! I have no idea when I'll get to read this unfortunately. And Pirate Assassins? That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really?? That makes me so happy to hear! I absolutely adored False Prince, and was afraid that Runaway King would ruin it. I'm so glad you liked it! Now I'm REALLY excited to read it! :)

    ~ Lynette @ Escaping Reality – One Book at a Time

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished this! I agree with everything you said. I love these books!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...