Friday, March 29, 2013

{Fairy Tale Fortnight} Mini-Review: After the Ball by Sarah Cross

ftf 2013 banner

aftertheball1_Oona_Pohjolainen

 


Release Date: April 10th 2012
Genre: YA Contemporary Fairy Tale Retelling
Source: Free Online Short Story

"After the Ball" is a short story set in Beau Rivage, a city where fairy tales come to life, and ancient stories are played out again and again. You can read more about the cursed fairy-tale characters of Beau Rivage in my novel Kill Me Softly.

I think I genuinely enjoyed this one more than Kill Me Softly. This is most likely due to the fact that the irritating Mira is gone and has been replaced with the awesome Dusty, the Cinderella of our story.

It was an interesting reimagining of the classic Cinderella; the one with ashy lentils, magical trees, and severed foot appendages. I don’t think I’ve run into a retelling that managed to keep the dark, grittiness of the original Cinderella.

I think it would be great if Sarah Cross decided to write a series of short stories set in Beau Rivage, as there are so many characters with stories yet to be told!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...