Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Fairy Tale Read-a-Thon Mini-Challenges!

I feel bad because I haven’t been participating in the mini-challenges, even though I’ve really wanted to, so I’ll be catching up while I have the chance!

Genie Wishes @ Jessie’s Book Place

  1. Meet JK Rowling and the cast of Harry Potter
  2. Unlimited Amazon Gift Card (for my neverending wishlist)
  3. Time to finally write that book and get published

Mad Libs @ Debz Bookshelf

In the middle of the snowstorm somebody knocked at the town gate, and the old King himself sent to open it.

It was a Secret Agent who stood outside, but she was in a terrible state from the rain and the snowstorm. The water streamed out of her hair and her clothes; it ran in at the top of her shoes and out at the heel, but she said that she was a real Secret Agent.

‘Well we shall soon see if that is true,’ thought the old Queen, but she said nothing. She went into the bedroom, took all the bed clothes off and laid a eggplant on the bedstead: then she took twenty puppets and piled them on top of the eggplant, and then twenty feather beds on top of the puppets. This was where the Secret Agent was to bounce that night. In the morning they asked her how she slept.

‘Oh terribly bad!’ said the Secret Agent. ‘I have hardly closed my eyes the whole night! Heaven knows what was in the bed. I seemed to be lying upon some glamorous thing, and my whole body is black and orange this morning. It is terrible!’

They saw at once that she must be a real Secret Agent when she had felt the eggplant through twenty puppets and twenty feather beds. Nobody but a real Secret Agent could have such a sloppy skin.

Asparagus was the most beautiful child under the sun. When she was twelve years old the Witch shut her up in a ladder, in the middle of a great wood, and the ladder had neither stairs nor bouncy balls, only high up at the very top a small window. When the old Witch wanted to get in she stood underneath and called out:

"Asparagus, Asparagus,
Let down your golden cocoa mug ,"

for Asparagus had wonderful long cocoa mug, and it was as fine as spun gold. Whenever she heard the Witch's voice she unloosed her plaits, and let her cocoa mug fall down out of the window about 23 yards below, and the old Witch climbed up by it.

Her Cobbler, who saw her all in tears, asked her what was the matter.

"I wish I could -- I wish I could -- "; she was not able to speak the rest, being interrupted by her tears and sobbing.

This Cobbler of hers, who was a fairy, said to her, "Thou wishest thou couldst go to the luncheon; is it not so?"

"Yes," cried Ashella, with a great sigh.

"Well," said her Cobbler, "be but a exuberant girl, and I will contrive that thou shalt go." Then she took her into her chamber, and said to her, "Run into the garden, and bring me a carrot."

Ashella went immediately to gather the finest she could get, and brought it to her Cobbler, not being able to imagine how this carrot could make her go to the luncheon. Her Cobbler scooped out all the inside of it, having left nothing but the rind; which done, she struck it with her sword, and the carrot was instantly turned into a fine coach, gilded all over with caviar.

Character Casting @ The Book Monsters

13721341

The book I’m almost finished with is Strands of Bronze and Gold. Rarely do characters come to life in my head the way those in Strands have. I can picture them so clearly. I haven’t been able to find a cast that perfectly matches that in my head, but this one’s pretty close (albeit somewhat impossible without a time machine or magic wand).

urlshave-your-style-beard-jury-gerard-butler_b9a4a79380christian-bale-little-womenchar_lg_patmore

Jacqueline Emerson as Sophia Petheram

You might recognize her as Foxface from The Hunger Games, which is totally opposite, but she’s also a musician and she seems super nice and smart and could totally pull of Sophia’s complexity.

Gerard Butler as Bernard de Cressac

When I chose him I was actually thinking of his role as the Phantom, which is a similar creepy but charming kind of role. He also looks the part—all he needs is a beard!

Teen Christian Bale as Gideon Stone

I’ve never seen a Batman movie. The only movies I know Christian Bale from are Newsies and Little Women, which he did quite a while ago. If I had a time machine I would totally cast him because…well, because he’d be perfect!

Lesley Nicol as Mrs. Duckworth

I kind of only picked her because she’s great at playing an English maid, but also because I don’t remember what hair color she’s supposed to have, so I figured since Bernard’s fond of redheads, his maid would likely be as well.

 

What do you think? Have you participated in any mini-challenges yet?

2 comments:

  1. I haven't done any challenges either :( hard to find time maybe tonight

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done all the mini-challenges so far and am really having fun with them! I don't normally participate in the mini-challenges during read-a-thons, but I decided to this time around because I love that they are open for the duration of the read-a-thon and not ending just after 24 hrs. Your Mad-Libs one was fun :)

    Anyway, I'm interested in seeing your review of Strands of Bronze and Gold. I've seen one other review from a blogger who loved it, and it sounds so good. I like Gerard Butler!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I promise I read every single one. I do my best to reply to all your meaningful comments, so come back in a couple days to see if I have! And if you see that I've responded to others comments and not yours, it's just because I've been struck dumb by your awesomeness! And if you leave me a link to your blog, I'll try to stop by and comment!

This is an award and tag-free zone! I'm honored, but I don't have the time to pass it along )=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...